lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Can I buy three new 12V instead of six 6V?

You need six 6volt golf cart batteries and a golf cart charger.

There is no substitute for it and you will be happier and cost you less in the long run.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewindsre View Post
Ok...Thank you so much!

I read a review of this battery (Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery Replaces 33Ah, 34Ah, 36Ah brand product)

as the best 12V battery for golf carts (batteryasking.com/best-golf-cart-batteries/)

but it says its a solar battery. I use the attached golf cart battery charger..would it work? I only use my golf cart lightly back and forth between warehouses so I dont use it very much. I of course like the price of those little mighty max batteries considering my limited use.

Do you think I could buy three of those little mighty max batteries and would my charger be able to charge them?

Thank you a ton again for all your help and guidance.

Matt
Those batteries are for an electric golf CADDY, not your golf cart. They will do you absolutely ZERO good. As mentioned above, I doubt they would even have the power to make your cart even move.

How old are the batteries you have? A real battery charger might be able to coax some more life out of them. If you only use it for an occasional short trip and are running on flat ground, they might be good enough for that if you can give them a proper charge. That little 5amp charger is not doing the job.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Old 03-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #14
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would be very leery of that site you referred to (https://batteryasking.com/best-golf-cart-batteries/) as much of their information is just plain wrong. For example this is a direct quote...

Quote:
Now let’s look at the number of volts you will need. As you know, golf cart batteries work by being wired in series and the total number of volts you need depends on the size and the weight of your vehicle, so make sure you check those specifications and pick the best fit voltage size for your golf cart.

Another consideration is speed if you want to be overtaking your friends on the golf course than you need to have a higher voltage in your batteries. Golf carts with a total of 36 combined battery voltage will be able to travel at around 12-14 mph, whereas with 48 volts you’ll be able to cruise along at a cool 20mph. Of course, golf carts are not designed to go very fast but if you are wanting to go as fast as you can you’ll need to make sure you opt for a combination of batteries that take you to a higher voltage.
That implies that if you have a 36V cart and you want to go faster then put in more batteries to make it a 48V cart. If you're lucky that might work for a while until it burns out components that were designed to work off 36V and are now being asked to take 48V!!

It is a very strange site and you are never sure if they are talking about a motorised buggy (the ones that look like an ordinary push buggy but have a motor and a single battery) or a ride-on golf cart. They seem to mix up the advice.

Your best bet is to get a new set of six good quality (Trojan, US Battery or Crown) six-volt batteries to replace yours. You also need to replace that charger with a proper golf-cart charger. These put out up to 17A and have enough oomph to stir the battery chemicals and to ensure proper charging. Once beyond that initial boost they drop the charge rate down to 5A and below before they switch off. That sort of charger will ensure that you get the best life from your expensive replacement batteries.

You get what you pay for, I'm afraid.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Right you are yawood. Whoever wrote that knows nothing about golf carts OR batteries. It even says the Trojans weigh over 130 lbs. each.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
tradewindsre
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks everyone! I dont use my golf cart very much and for only very short distances so I was trying to get away with as little cost as possible.

From what I can tell, six new 6V batteries plus a golf cart charger will run me about $1,000...?
tradewindsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewindsre View Post
Ok thanks everyone! I dont use my golf cart very much and for only very short distances so I was trying to get away with as little cost as possible.

From what I can tell, six new 6V batteries plus a golf cart charger will run me about $1,000...?
Depending on where you are, the batteries you choose, and if you have core batteries that would be about right.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If budget is a concern, Get the charger First. It may help bring some usable life back to your old batteries if you charge them and use them a dozen times or so, you may notice a difference.
If you get new batteries, your current charger WILL NOT charge them properly, and they WILL be damaged in a very short time. Waste of money if they just get sulfated in a month and then they'll be just as bad off as what you have. Without a proper charger, you'll get less than a year of good use from new batteries.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/yewy-...t-charger.html
The Yewy chargers are Easy to use and built specifically for charging golf carts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #19
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If budget is a concern, Get the charger First. It may help bring some usable life back to your old batteries if you charge them and use them a dozen times or so, you may notice a difference.
If you get new batteries, your current charger WILL NOT charge them properly, and they WILL be damaged in a very short time. Waste of money if they just get sulfated in a month and then they'll be just as bad off as what you have. Without a proper charger, you'll get less than a year of good use from new batteries.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/yewy-...t-charger.html
The Yewy chargers are Easy to use and built specifically for charging golf carts.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car