lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
hammrhed71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2012 RXV Battery Meter/USB Charger - Wiring help needed

Hey y'all...

I've got a buddy with a 2012 RXV that wants a standard battery meter installed, it has two connector posts. He also wants a USB charger installed which also has only two connector posts.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to which wires to tap into behind the dash for the meter? I've heard too many horror stories about messing with RXV wiring that messes up the controller. (this cart is a dahaner btw, not sure that matters).

For the USB charger (basic standard round part with two ports 5v) do I need a 48v-12v reducer with an inline fuse?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm not too savvy with the electrical side of carts...but give me some hard parts and I can make it happen!
hammrhed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2012 RXV Battery Meter/USB Charger - Wiring help needed

DO NOT TAP INTO WIRES! It will blow the controller. Expensive mistake.

Run + and - wires from the battery terminals to the meter, for always-on voltage. For a switched meter, run + from (one of the ) the big terminal at the solenoid, the - to the battery neg terminal. I forgot which solenoid terminal it is, but is easily tested. For the USB charger, I use a 12V reducer that runs 12V to a fuse box, and hook into that.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
JBERGER
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This unit is a plug and play solution for RVX, super simple installation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-RXV-Ch...UAAOSw6dNZb1Py
JBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I use that one. Works fine and all you do is mount it in the dash and plug it into a connector that’s already there behind the dash of an RXV.
For the USB port, you can pull 12 volts from the terminals of one of the 12-volt cart batteries if you want a free solution. Technically that discharges the batteries unevenly but the power you’ll pull from a USB plug is minuscule.
A lot of carts came from the factory with lights wired that way.

The “right” way is to use a 48-volt to 12-volt reducer and they’re so cheap there’s no reason not to.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
hammrhed71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks y'all. Def not tapping into wires. Will do as directed. Unfortunately my buddy bought a different meter than the one suggested (I actually bought that one for me though...thanks!)

As always...I appreciate the assistance!
hammrhed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO