lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2020, 03:39 AM   #1
Json707
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Post Advice on some wishlist modifications

Hey guys, 1st timer here ...

Just got my hands on a 2008 Western 400lst
It’s 48volt (6 - 8v batteries)
SePex controller
Delta-Q QuiQ onboard charger
12v voltage reducer
Radio w Bluetooth
Cigarette lighter
Key switch has 3 positions (off, cart on only, cart on w/ 12v accessories)

Looking to do some mods and looking for some input and advice...

1st
…on the agenda is not really a mod but replacing the melted worn ammeter. The on board charger has one but for some reason it’s mounted on the underside of this rig. Do I really need one? If so does anyone have a recommended brand or type. The existing hole is 2” diameter. Or if I don’t need one then any other gauge I can install to fill the void that would be useful or cool?

2nd
I wanna put a cheaper viper alarm that senses vibration or motion but it is 12v and I know my cart is 48v. I believe to turn the 12v voltage reducer on I have to turn the key cylinder 2 clicks. I am not savvy about wiring, is it possible to wire an alarm to get power when the cart is off.

3rd
Wire in a better stereo with a small self powered sub (tube type), is this going to greatly impact my range?

More questions to come, I’m sure of it. Lol

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.
Json707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Advice on some wishlist modifications

You do not need an Ammeter.

A voltage reducer will be hard pressed to run headlights/tail lights, stereo and a powered sub. I would consider a nice Bose Bluetooth speaker and nix the stereo/sub. Another option is to install the stereo but skip the powered sub. That's a lot of amps to pull through a reducer.

As for wiring the alarm, anything is possible but you need to be handy with a voltmeter and knowledgeable enough to play with electricity.

With your sepex controller please make sure you put the cart in "Tow" mode before messing with the batteries/cables and especially before towing/pushing the cart.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:02 PM   #3
Json707
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
You do not need an Ammeter.

A voltage reducer will be hard pressed to run headlights/tail lights, stereo and a powered sub. I would consider a nice Bose Bluetooth speaker and nix the stereo/sub. Another option is to install the stereo but skip the powered sub. That's a lot of amps to pull through a reducer.

—- it already has lights and stereo and seems to run both currently no problems. Although the powers sub (old bazooka tube) would add more amps for sure. How do other guys run them with no problem? Spare battery?

As for wiring the alarm, anything is possible but you need to be handy with a voltmeter and knowledgeable enough to play with electricity.

—- I’ve wired many stereos and alarms in my glory days.

With your sepex controller please make sure you put the cart in "Tow" mode before messing with the batteries/cables and especially before towing/pushing the cart.

—- does this mean put it in tow mode during charging too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Json707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:22 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Json707 View Post
—- does this mean put it in tow mode during charging too?
That's just a "lawyer proof myth" included to give a lawyer an easy answer in a lawsuit as far as my 12 years in the industry can say. Just a way for a lawyer to say "we aren't responsible". The internals of your 48v cart are typically engineered to briefly withstand around 80v dc (from looking at the components I have personally looked at inside chargers & controllers). Putting it on "tow" sure wont protect you from lightning & such. Lightning has no problem jumping that little 0.050" gap in that tow switch if it wants to. It's just a "protect from lawsuits" thing, not like the cart actually requires that to work/charge correctly.

Also, if that's your Olds.... Nice!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No need to put in Tow for charging.

For the sub, I use a separate 12V battery. But that has the issues of added weight and now having two distinct systems to charge with two distinct chargers.

I ended up disconnecting the sub and will pull it out at some point. Right now it's just sitting in the bagwell.

My 12V battery (I went lithium on that too for weight) will run the headlights/tail lights/stereo/GPS Speedo forever without needing a charge.

If I were to start from scratch on a cart without a hole in the dash for a stereo, I'd seriously consider a badass bluetooth speaker. Either a small one like my Bose Soundlink Mini mounted up by the windshield facing rearward or a big one set right behind the from seat backs facing forward. $0.02
Old 02-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One last thing, I put a Milwaukee Tick on my cart. It's a poor man's lojac with no membership or cell service to buy. Anybody with the Milwaukee app that gets within bluetooth range of the tick will upload (without them knowing) the location of the tick to the cloud. So I can see where it is. Around here there are enough construction guys with Milwaukee tools that I get a fair amount of hits on a recurring basis.

The bad news is that the tick reported location can be 30 to 40 feet from where your tick really is. With a cart that's not a problem. I lost my keys the other day and all i knew from that was that they were somewhere in or near my house...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO