lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller sealing cover bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Wow, that thermal pad was installed by a toddler? That's the worst I have seen.
Happy-hour special.
Installed either late Friday afternoon by someone in hurry to get to happy-hour or early Monday morning by someone that had spent to long at the bar Sunday night.

The cart was 3 Y.O. when I got it, but I'm sure that thermal pad was installed at the EZGO factory, they are too hard to remove and many (most?) people believe they are reusable. They aren't. The surface molds to the irregularities of the metal surfaces initially, but they harden over time, so there are bumps riding on bumps the second time around.

Even if it had been installed square to the raised area, it lacks 4sq.in. or so covering the back of the controller and there is an air gap in that area instead of a thermal bridge.

So I had an improperly installed, undersized pad. No wonder the controller overheated while running stock motor and stock height tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller sealing cover bolts

[QUOTE=cgtech;1692125]Sorry, I was going off the size of the tires in your picture. But in the post you made no mention of larger tires. You know what they say about the word "assume".. lol. On stock size tires, you'll be fine.

Since you got so much Arctic silver laying around..... I still build PCs...[/

Thanks, I have not built a PC since 2016 . Its the one I use today. I always used Solid State drives, Gigabyte boards and lots of Ram. This desktop will boot to win 10 pro in 10 seconds.
I probably built 35 or 40 over the years and no telling how many I have worked on including laptops but those days are almost over. We don't ever completely quit as you well know.

Now for the heat sink. I just used the pad that was on the heat sink that was on the cart I had removed it from yesterday.

I left my artic silver at home this AM and didn't want to drive the 10 miles to get it. The pad looked good ( actually looked new ) and this cart is only going to be used in my back yard and around my shop when I need it.

I plan on checking the temperature tomorrow after I drive it a while with my infrared thermometer just to see if it is getting hot which I sort of doubt the way my granddaughter and I will be using this cart.. It ran great this afternoon. I took two carts and made one good one. I really wanted to get the PDS cart going but too many things and too much money to get it going. The 3 year old batteries I took out of the PDS CART still load test perfect so for now they stay MY 2007 series txt.

I let a friend have an older Dell Laptop that he will use to run his CNC milling machine in return for some fabrication work he is doing for me plus he is going to get those broke off bolts out of the other heat sink mount. He needed a laptop with a 9 pin serial port and I never toss things like laptops away.

He does all my machine work and never charges me anything. This old laptop had windows XP on it . Been sitting in my closet for five years. CMOS battery was run down but I left it plugged in all night and this morning it was good again. No problems when I booted. The laptop battery will actually hold a charge for about an hour. Good enough for what he is going to use it for plus I need some more machine work done next week.
I appreciate the help I get here. Hang with me as I am just learning these electric carts but after saying for years I would never work on one I sort of like them. lol
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO