lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
bwhitsonjr
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Great find!

Not the most glamorous cart you've ever seen but it's got potential

IMG_3720.jpg IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

Just wanted to share some pics with you guys and see if anyone had some personal experience with this make and model. Which I'm sure has been had around this place

My plans:

Replacing rear body since getting it fixed and painted is going to cost more than a new one.[/LIST]Rear seat kit
New front seat back rest
New cover for front seat bottom
Maybe a lift kit, haven't decided, but leaning
Replace some decals
Replace batteries with Trojans, looking into lithium, but hesitant
Replace front light bar, bracket, and plastic cover
Align front tires[/LIST]
Only thing I've done to this $200 buy so far is add water to the batteries, and replaced the original set of tires and rims.

On the batteries... when I picked it up it appeared the plates were wet but no water could be seen. Once it was high enough and I trickle charged a pair of batteries the cart charger took over and topped them all off. I don't get a very far range with it. Maybe 2-3 miles before the meter shows it at half capacity so I plug it back up and ride the next afternoon with the boys (1 and 7)
So far it's just been fun. And I'm not looking to build a brand new cart, but I plan on keeping it for sometime and want it looking decent and able to ride passengers front and back. In our small city almost everyone has a cart.

On the tires... searched online and found a set of like new tires and wheels pulled from club car and according to what I found most 4 bolt pattern was the same across club, ezgo, and yamaha. So I scooped them up for $80 and I don't have to worry about a tire going flat anymore
bwhitsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Great find!

Looks like an early PDS maybe? Can be made into something nice for sure.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You can find the Service, Parts and owner manuals here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html They are the top three .pdf files.

Looks like those tires are stock height (18" tall) so the top speed is about 18.5MPH if the speed chip is installed. Installing an Alltrax XCT48xxx-PDS controller will up it to about 24MPH with a 36V pack and about 28MPH at 42V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
bwhitsonjr
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Looks like an early PDS maybe? Can be made into something nice for sure.
For sure! It might've been helpful to list the specs. I found the riveted tag to be missing but did find a sticker on the frame under the seat.
2008 EZGO TXT PDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You can find the Service, Parts and owner manuals here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html They are the top three .pdf files.

Looks like those tires are stock height (18" tall) so the top speed is about 18.5MPH if the speed chip is installed. Installing an Alltrax XCT48xxx-PDS controller will up it to about 24MPH with a 36V pack and about 28MPH at 42V.
Tell me more about the speed chip Johnnie! Where do I get that at? And I might as well grab a new controller while I'm at it. With a speed app I've hit 16 mph. What about a new controller? with the xxx you left it open for any number...?
Old 02-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr View Post
Tell me more about the speed chip Johnnie! Where do I get that at? And I might as well grab a new controller while I'm at it. With a speed app I've hit 16 mph. What about a new controller? with the xxx you left it open for any number...?
If you are getting 16, the speed chip might already be installed, but attachment 1 & 2 explains what the various PDS modes are and the speed and amount of regen braking in each mode. From the looks of the batteries and cables, they are a couple of the reasons why the cart will only do 16MPH.

Yep, that's what the xxx means. The XCT for the PDS comes in 300A, 400A and 500A versions and which one to use depends on what cart is going to be used for, local terrain (hilly?), tires height and tire type, as well as having a back seat, how many pax and how heavily the typical load, Etc.

The stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) has a 300A throughput, so the XCT48300-PDS is more or less a stock replacement, but you'll still get a higher speed since the motor is no longer limited to 4400RPM like it is with the stock PDS controller. Also, the XCT controllers will pass 15% more amps than their rating when Peak Amp Mode is selected. (User programmable)

The performance difference between the 300, 400 and 500 amp ratings is in the low end torque, but it is the motor's RPM that determines how many amps are drawn (amps = torque), so above a certain RPM all three will perform about the same.

In a nutshell, the 400A unit is adequate for most applications and the 500A unit is needed for carts with tall tires, steep hills, deep mud or sand, heavy loads or towing boats out of the lake. However, the 500A unit comes with a fan while it is an option on the 400A unit. I didn't manage to over-temp my XCT48400-PDS once, but not since I installed the fan.

Also, 400A is about all a stock PDS motor can handle, so if you install a 500A, the max amps needs to be dialed back to 400A.

If the cart's usage will be limited to hauling two golfers and their equipment over the groomed trails of a golf course, the 300A unit will suffice.

-----------
The sweet spot for the stock PDS motor is 42V and the seventh 6V battery will fit under the driver side seat. Max RPM for a stock PDS motor (in good health) is about 6,500RPM, which equates to 28MPH on 18" tall tires. Of course, the XCT allows you to set the max RPM top a lower value and limit the carts max speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg XCT-outputs.JPG (74.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Great deal!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
bwhitsonjr
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If you are getting 16, the speed chip might already be installed, but attachment 1 & 2 explains what the various PDS modes are and the speed and amount of regen braking in each mode. From the looks of the batteries and cables, they are a couple of the reasons why the cart will only do 16MPH.

Yep, that's what the xxx means. The XCT for the PDS comes in 300A, 400A and 500A versions and which one to use depends on what cart is going to be used for, local terrain (hilly?), tires height and tire type, as well as having a back seat, how many pax and how heavily the typical load, Etc.

The stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) has a 300A throughput, so the XCT48300-PDS is more or less a stock replacement, but you'll still get a higher speed since the motor is no longer limited to 4400RPM like it is with the stock PDS controller. Also, the XCT controllers will pass 15% more amps than their rating when Peak Amp Mode is selected. (User programmable)

The performance difference between the 300, 400 and 500 amp ratings is in the low end torque, but it is the motor's RPM that determines how many amps are drawn (amps = torque), so above a certain RPM all three will perform about the same.

In a nutshell, the 400A unit is adequate for most applications and the 500A unit is needed for carts with tall tires, steep hills, deep mud or sand, heavy loads or towing boats out of the lake. However, the 500A unit comes with a fan while it is an option on the 400A unit. I didn't manage to over-temp my XCT48400-PDS once, but not since I installed the fan.

Also, 400A is about all a stock PDS motor can handle, so if you install a 500A, the max amps needs to be dialed back to 400A.

If the cart's usage will be limited to hauling two golfers and their equipment over the groomed trails of a golf course, the 300A unit will suffice.

-----------
The sweet spot for the stock PDS motor is 42V and the seventh 6V battery will fit under the driver side seat. Max RPM for a stock PDS motor (in good health) is about 6,500RPM, which equates to 28MPH on 18" tall tires. Of course, the XCT allows you to set the max RPM top a lower value and limit the carts max speed.
All of it makes 100% sense to me.

My personal needs are a family of 4. Me, my wife, 2 small boys (1 and 7) on a rear seat kit (when I get one). I live in Texas and it's mostly flat land in these parts. I might do a lift kit and tiny bit bigger A/T tires so I concur with your advice. The 400 will fit my needs, won't have to be dialed back and I won't need to upgrade anything else. (maybe the solenoid and wires) Otherwise I think I would be good to go. Thank you for the time and passing on your wisdom for the 20,000 time lol I'm sure it gets repetitive. I'm always happy to be pointed in the direction of other threads to gain more knowledge as well.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:03 AM   #8
bwhitsonjr
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Great deal!
Thanks Mooncarter!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:44 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr View Post
Thanks Mooncarter!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
joe58
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

"I won't need to upgrade anything else. (maybe the solenoid and wires) Otherwise I think I would be good to go"

And the addiction begins
joe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO