lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default SW182 Magnetic Blowout Info

I understand the purpose of the magnetic blowout, but don't understand how it works, or the do's and don't on the installation. I would just like to understand it better, if someone could shed some light on that subject, I'd appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: SW182 Magnetic Blowout Info

Stolen from Wikipedia- "Magnetic blowouts use blowout coils to lengthen and move the electric arc. These are especially useful in DC power circuits. AC arcs have periods of low current, during which the arc can be extinguished with relative ease, but DC arcs have continuous high current, so blowing them out requires the arc to be stretched further than an AC arc of the same current. The magnetic blowouts in the pictured Albright contactor (which is designed for DC currents) more than double the current the contactor can break, increasing it from 600 A to 1,500 A."
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The important thing to remember is that "Magnetic Blowouts" make the Solenoid contacts "polarity" sensitive.

You need to make sure the cable with the "highest voltage potential" (closest to the power source) goes on the terminal with the "+" sign otherwise the magnetic blowout will pull the spark into the center of the contact causing more damage than if You did not have them installed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Good point! I forgot to mention that. (Polarity sensitivity part).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Definition of magnetic blowout: extinction of an electric arc when deflected by a magnetic field.

I believe that Albright uses a small permanent magnet to achieve this in their contactors equipped with magnetic blowouts.

Attached is some Albright technical information for the SW182.

Page 3 discusses the option of Magnetic Blowouts ... including the requirement that the "positive markings on the top cover of the contactor must be observed", as Sergio has pointed out.

Here is an interesting discussion on magnetic blowouts that might help to explain further how they work: https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=187820
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Albright SW180 and SW 190 Series DC Contactors.pdf (2.33 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The important thing to remember is that "Magnetic Blowouts" make the Solenoid contacts "polarity" sensitive.

You need to make sure the cable with the "highest voltage potential" (closest to the power source) goes on the terminal with the "+" sign otherwise the magnetic blowout will pull the spark into the center of the contact causing more damage than if You did not have them installed.
Thanks, that's kinda what I was looking for. I knew they are polarity sensitive, but since there is no definite positive and negative was a little confusing to me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO