lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 TXT DCS 36v cant go up hill

Yesterday I purchased a 98 EZGO TXT DCS for pretty cheap and I knew it has some issues. I want to keep this a budget friendly cart so I want to do all of my testing and diagnosing up front before i start replacing everything.

As far as I can tell everything is stock. aka 6-6v batteries, stock controller, stock motor, solenoid, etc.

It looks to be used and abused. rear seat cushion is missing. leaf springs are arched backwards. battery tray is rusty and will need to be replaced soon.

Came with a Lestronic 2 that appears to be in decent shape.

While charging the pack voltage goes up to about 45, maybe 46 before the chargers stops. After being disconnected for 12 hours the voltage settles at 38.2

On flat ground with air in the tires voltage reads around 35-36 dipping down to about 31 to get started.

Heres the problem... uphill.

on a slight grade its a dog and voltage drops to 32ish. any incline in the 10+ degree range and voltage drops to 30.1 but cart stops moving and makes a weird noise that like a low hum. Sounds electrical not mechanical.

Front wheels turns as freely as they need to. rear wheels are weird. they will turn very freely for about 3/4 of a rotation then get stuck. I can easily over power this with two hands, then turns freely and gets stuck in the same spot. Im hoping its maybe some bearings? not a bent axle? either way keep in mind its a budget cart...

Anything I can do with the motor? is it necessary? rebuild kit? brushes and bearings? what about the 22 year old controller?
germandude890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 TXT DCS 36v cant go up hill

Batteries are probably shot. Clip a meter on the pack and tell us what the voltage reads when the care barely going up hill... hint = if it is less than 31 there is one or more bad batteries in the pack.
You can do the same test for each individual battery to determine which ones are bad
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

so I checked each battery individually. Its also a frankenpack with multiple kinds of batteries.

Battery-------------no load V-----incline V

Napa (old?)------------6.5---------5.9----
Napa (old?)------------6.5---------5.9----
Napa (old?)------------6.5---------6.0----
Napa (4/19)-----------6.6---------6.2----
U.S. batt (oldest)-----6.0---------0.3----
U.S. batt (oldest)-----6.2---------5.1----

Is it worth it to try and find 1 decent battery to replace number 5?

I have a friend that works at US battery and is able to get me 6 1800's for $450.

I just want to make sure that my controller and motor are up to par as well and that I dont spend money on the batteries only to find out that everything else is bad too.

Additionally, any thoughts on the sticking of the rear axle?

Thanks for the help Scotty and everyone.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Anything in the 5s is bad so you have some bad and some marginal batteries. I think doing anything but replacing the pack is throwing good money away because of a phenomenon known as equalizing where new batteries soon become equal to the old batteries when they are put in the same pack. The DCS is a good cart. It is worth fixing up. Now you need to figure out how and where you are going to use it and build accordingly. That includes choosing the proper voltage.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

Good point. I've been reading a lot of your stuff, Scotty. I say this is just going to be used around the neighborhood but as the night goes on it may see some trails... nothing crazy and I dont want it too capable. I need to make sure that there is some money left or at least break even when i decide to sell.

48 volts, a new motor, controller, and all that would be nice but i only paid 1200$ for the cart. Just want to make it decent. Maybe a used 36v alltrax from someone upgrading to 48? idk?
Old 07-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Ted4Alltrax
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Not surprisingly, I agree with Scotty B. As I have noticed, is usually the case. No sense in cutting a corner that will inevitably cost you more frustration and money down the road... I would also like to talk about that 22 year old controller... :) I would recommend that you call Alltrax Inc @ 541-476-3565 and let them help you determine the best fit for your needs. Again the investment will prove to have saved you money (and aggravation) over the course of your build.
Ted4Alltrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

I'm not closed minded. I'll listen to suggestions. what about my 22yr old controller? still working right? if i upgrade that then i might as well upgrade the motor and then were well on our way down a rabbit hole... (i hope my sense of humor translates well)

Im working on getting a full new set. As i mentioned i can get the 1800 xc2's at a good price but now ive been offered the US 125 XC2's for just 70$ more. What do you guys think?

Ted if you can PM me a price of a cheap but decent controller i will definitely consider it. Also what benefits do i get with a stock cart and stock 22 year old motor? why not just wait until the current controller fails?
Old 07-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You would be surprised how durable the cart motors are. There are many many 30 yr old motors out there running on Alltrax controllers.
Understand this - The controller does not send power to the motor. It allows the motor access to the battery pack. Bigger controller = more access. So your thinking uh-oh too much access and kaboom? No. Consider older resistor coil carts from 1950-2003 all had a direct connection to the battery pack at WOT.
Anyway long story made short. 400-500 amp controller is fine. They cost from 400-500.00 and you need to upgrade the solenoid.
Well I hope this helps. Shop around prices vary
Old 07-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by germandude890 View Post
I'm not closed minded. I'll listen to suggestions. what about my 22yr old controller? still working right? if i upgrade that then i might as well upgrade the motor and then were well on our way down a rabbit hole... (i hope my sense of humor translates well)

Im working on getting a full new set. As i mentioned i can get the 1800 xc2's at a good price but now ive been offered the US 125 XC2's for just 70$ more. What do you guys think?

Ted if you can PM me a price of a cheap but decent controller i will definitely consider it. Also what benefits do i get with a stock cart and stock 22 year old motor? why not just wait until the current controller fails?
The $70 will be well spent.

Attached a a chart showing the relative range and lifespan of various make/model batteries. The US1800 has a 208AH storage capacity, which is 7.6% below the standard 225AH batteries typically used and the US125 has 242AH, which is 7.6% greater than standard. The distance the cart will travel on a single charge will be about 15% further with higher AH US125 batteries and their cradle to grave life expectancy will be about 15% longer also.

------------
FWIW: The stock DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) is a poor design that lacks under-voltage protection and your battery pack has been under volting it, so there may be the need for a new controller in the foreseeable future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (102.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 07-22-2020 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: forgot attachment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Get the new batteries, all six. Install them and put the volt meter on the mains to insure they are connected correctly. Charge them fully before anything else then take a ride and see where you are. Batteries are the heart of an electric cart. Upgraded controllers/motors are a waste of time and money if you don't have a strong, healthy battery pack to support them.

Quit driving the cart until batteries are replaced. Your killing the DCS controller.

My opinion.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO