lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #11
SwaffordJGR
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2016 EZ-GO RXV Parking Brake Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
This is definitely not how it works.
Care to enlighten me? Thanks!
SwaffordJGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, I hope this makes sense. That spot in the middle is always engaged with the motor shaft, the motor never spins, without that part spinning too. That's the part that slides over the motor shaft. The brake in this example is totally fried, because of the disc inside spinning when it wasnt supposed to be (when the brake was supposed to be in "locked status".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200827-201138_Gallery.jpg (135.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200827-201037_Gallery.jpg (148.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200827-200920_Gallery.jpg (160.5 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:32 PM   #13
SwaffordJGR
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Well, I hope this makes sense. That spot in the middle is always engaged with the motor shaft, the motor never spins, without that part spinning too. That's the part that slides over the motor shaft. The brake in this example is totally fried, because of the disc inside spinning when it wasnt supposed to be (when the brake was supposed to be in "locked status".
That does make sense, it helped seeing a picture of what was actually inside of the parking brake. I was looking at it as more of a pin engaging and stopping rotation, kind of like the “park” position in a transmission. Thanks for the explanation, still have a lot to learn on these machines.

I believe after riding around a little this afternoon that I figured out what was going on. Out of habit, when I was coming to a stop, I had my foot on the brake pedal and had it depressed (like you would do at a stop sign in a car). Leaving my foot on the brake, I was turning the key to off, the parking brake was disengaging, then after the standard 2-3 second delay it would re-engage, and the cart would roll a small amount during that window it took for the parking brake to engage.

I figured out today, that when I come to a complete stop, if I don’t press either pedal (don’t really need to because the motor brake will hold the cart stationary), let the parking brake engage after the 2-3 seconds of being stationary, then turn the key off, the cart never moves. I tried that method on various inclines probably 20-25 times and it held steady every single time.

I think yesterday I was probably using both of those methods not realizing that I was doing it, hence the reason it would roll a little sometimes and not other times

But, today, I tried both methods, and everytime with my foot on the brake it allowed the cart to roll a little until the parking brake re engages, and everytime I didn’t use the brake, it would lock up tight and not move.

This regenerative brake is going to take a little getting used to but I’m sure after a couple of weeks it will all become habit.

Thanks for all of your input, I appreciate it!
Old 08-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Awesome! It is a totally different machine than any other cart you are used to. It's also totally weird to just expect the motor to hold the cart 100% still on an incline. Also, incorrectly installing a new brake can do this too, in as little as 500 feet, dont overtighten them bolts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #15
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I find I rarely use the brake pedal and when I do its just a tap or two even at top speed.

One other thing about the brake. It is electrically released but fail safe'd to the engaged position. So if the cart looses power for what ever reason the brake will engage. Also it's meant to be a parking brake but will engage under one other condition. If you stomp the brake, as in a panic stop, the brake will engage at what ever speed you are at the time and both rear wheels will lock. For this to happen, the brake pedal has to be pressed past a certain point in it's available travel. Not something you are likely to do accidentally but be aware of the possibility. I've had to do this twice in 4+ years. It wasn't violent in my case and as soon as you release the pedal the brake releases. The brake wasn't designed to do this routinely so it will eventually fail if you do this very many times.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #16
SwaffordJGR
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I find I rarely use the brake pedal and when I do its just a tap or two even at top speed.

One other thing about the brake. It is electrically released but fail safe'd to the engaged position. So if the cart looses power for what ever reason the brake will engage. Also it's meant to be a parking brake but will engage under one other condition. If you stomp the brake, as in a panic stop, the brake will engage at what ever speed you are at the time and both rear wheels will lock. For this to happen, the brake pedal has to be pressed past a certain point in it's available travel. Not something you are likely to do accidentally but be aware of the possibility. I've had to do this twice in 4+ years. It wasn't violent in my case and as soon as you release the pedal the brake releases. The brake wasn't designed to do this routinely so it will eventually fail if you do this very many times.
Thanks for the info! I appreciate you guys taking the time to explain the system to me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO