lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
jcdixon01
Not Yet Wild

Default Advice Please...leaf springs

So...I did a thing, last week I went Lithium. If the literature is true, that saves close to 350 lbs. Probably more in my case because I was also running a separate 12V deep cycle battery for accessories. That being said, I need new leaf springs in the rear. One said is almost completely flat. Since I am close to 400 lbs. from traditional set up, I need to know some opinions of which route to go...

Details about my cart and usage:
-2002(-ish) Ezgo TXT
-6" all sports long travel lift in the front
-block and shackle lift in the back
-RoyPow 51v 56Ah
-Rear seat
-extended Double Take roof

For the most part, we mostly have my 11yo daughter riding in the back, and me and/or my wife up front. I am a big guy, 250 lbs, and my wife...is not. :) My main goal is a good ride. I am also open to upgrading the shocks too, so if you have an idea on that, I am all ears.

My Question...do I go with standard duty leaf springs ince we don't have the added weight of the lead acid batteries, or do we go with more of a beefy leaf spring set up back there.

If beefy is the route to go, Dual Action or Heavy Duty? I know for most articles the assumption that a cart is weighed down by traditional batteries, but I think that should play in to this decision.
jcdixon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Advice Please...leaf springs

If you have not already changed out your leaf springs, I suggest driving it around with the stock ones. Now that all that weight has been removed, try the ride. Does it bottom out with wife and daughter on board, does it ride smooth. Go from there. Just my two cents worth, I would think the stock springs would be ok, but I am not there. You have to decide on the ride. Let ys know. Have fun.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
jcdixon01
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, at the moment one is flat(the passenger side one) and both sides the bushings are shot. So I figured they need to be replaced in any case. Maybe I’ll just do the bushings and see. Thanks for the opinion.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The fact one side is flat and the other is not I'd go with new springs. I'd consider Heavy Duty Dual Action springs that give you a standard feel/ride. The heavy duty part only comes into play when you are fully loaded, hence the dual action description.
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
jcdixon01
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Dronning. But with the lighter cart, will it not be a rough ride all the time? We are mostly neighborhood cruisers, our biggest obstacle we encounter is an occasional curb we have to hop. That is my biggest issue, I don't wan to make the ride stiffer, if I don't need to. You know?
Old 10-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdixon01 View Post
Thanks, Dronning. But with the lighter cart, will it not be a rough ride all the time? We are mostly neighborhood cruisers, our biggest obstacle we encounter is an occasional curb we have to hop. That is my biggest issue, I don't wan to make the ride stiffer, if I don't need to. You know?
Given the weight reduction and your use I'd go with stock springs. The fact you have a flat spring means even new standard springs may feel "stiffer" than what you have.

The Dual Action springs give you the normal ride of stock springs. The heavy duty part only comes into play if you hit a BIG bump or load the cart up.
- Dave

Check out:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
jcdixon01
Not Yet Wild

Dave, Those say RVX, will they work on a TXT, I can't seem to find that answer on Amazon.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdixon01 View Post
Dave, Those say RVX, will they work on a TXT, I can't seem to find that answer on Amazon.
You are correct, these were the ones I was looking at for my RXV. I'm not sure what's available for the TXT.

Sorry for the confusion.
- Dave

Found these for TXT:
https://www.golfcartgarage.com/ezgo-...&isp_ref_pos=2
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would ride around after making the weight reduction to lithium.
Since you will need to replace springs due to age.(right side being flat)
May want to evaluate front springs also to determine their condition of them also before making a choice.

Having duel action rear springs on my cart ride like stock with no one in rear seat, but still rides smooth with rear passengers where 3 rd leaf comes into play.
Doubt you would need heavier springs then stock in rear.

Maybe post on lithium forum to see what others have done?
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
jcdixon01
Not Yet Wild

Good call, Cobra, I’ll check that forum and see if there is any advice there.

Tags
dual action heavy duty
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO