lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rhox Deluxe Wiring Harness, not simply 12+ on or off?

It's hard to compose an accurate question when I don't know exactly what's going on, but here goes...

I have a 2017 48v TXT with a previously installed Rhox Deluxe Wiring Harness and Rhox LED Light Kit. Including headlights, running lights, brake lights, blinkers, a horn, etc.

There are some wire pigtails in the harness that are supposed to be used if you wire a high mount run/brake/turn light bar. The wires are labeled:
12v+ Driver side blinker,
12v+ Right side blinker,
12v+ Running light
12v- Running light

The goal is not a high mount light bar, but rather two 12v buzzers to remind us to turn off the blinkers. To this end I connected two small 6-12v buzzers thus: +wire from each buzzer one to each of the driver and right side blinker plus wires. I connected both negative wires from the buzzers to the 12v- running light above, thinking its just a negative ground wire.

Works great for the blinkers, but every time I step on the brakes it sounds the buzzers!

When I used my DVM on the wiring harness connectors for +12v blinkers and -12v running light, I get crazy constantly changing voltage readings as low as 2 and as high as 12. And that with only the key on, no blinkers are on nor brake pedal pushed.

Is there something going on with the Rhox wiring harness such that its running a high and low voltage on the same wire? Do you think that -12v Running light wire is not really simply a -12v ground wire?

Am I asking the wrong questions?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rhox Deluxe Wiring Harness, not simply 12+ on or off?

Here's a follow up question. Is the cart frame grounded to the 48vdc pack, and if it is, can I use the frame as my negative ground for 12v? I'm thinking maybe I could ground to the frame instead of using the -12v wire in the Rhox wire harness mentioned above. BTW, the harness gets its 12v pos and neg from an on board voltage converter.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Ahhh, the follies of aftermarket light kits.... such a joy.

And, no, you should never use the frame as a ground on an electric cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Update, for what it's worth:
I think the crazy DVM readings were me not making and maintaining a solid contact with the probes and wire. As for both the blinkers individually and the brake pedal activating the buzzers, that's just the way they made the harness. The tags on the wires indicate only blinker action. But the pigtail is for a high mount run/turn/brake, so... I guess that's just how they activate both "blinker lights" as a brake light. By the way, I tapped the -12v directly off the voltage reducer and there was no difference than using the -12v wire in the pigtail.

Looks like I'll have to tap the front turn signal lights to activate my buzzers. Not hard, just longer runs.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Ahhh, the follies of aftermarket light kits.... such a joy.

And, no, you should never use the frame as a ground on an electric cart.
Thanks. I was a little leary of doing that. In the end I tapped off the voltage reducer just to be safe and to eliminate my confusion at the -12v wire in the pigtail.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO