lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
LoosaBuggies
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Water Levels

I just bought a 2018 RXV from a reputable dealer in the area. Batteries are original Trojans. It had the HydroLink system for adding water to the batteries but I had to order the flow-rite hand pump from Amazon. I drove it for a week while my pump arrived and when it did arrive I expected to pump a cup or so of water in given that it was just sold to me from a big dealer. A GALLON of distilled water later I was still pumping and now need to make another trip to Publix! I am just amazed that it was that low! So other than my observation of dealers not putting in water, in general, how low is really low on water and how often do others check the water? Thanks!
LoosaBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
jr5018
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Water Levels

This exact thing happened with me on a 2017 model. Initial fill from dealer was almost a gallon then every month or two I pump about 1 or two cups in. I have been told that flooded lead acid batteries should be just above the plate inside the battery. The flowrite system seems to be holding up so far. I actually pull the caps about every three months to make sure it is full from the filling system.
jr5018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
LoosaBuggies
Not Yet Wild

I just got back with another 2 gallons and it took every bit of that as well! So the 4 12v Tojans were 3 gallons low. I didn’t even know that was possible!
LoosaBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoosaBuggies View Post
I just got back with another 2 gallons and it took every bit of that as well! So the 4 12v Tojans were 3 gallons low. I didn’t even know that was possible!
Don't know about Trojan brand 12V cart batteries, but US Battery brand 12V cart batteries hold about 7.5 Qts of electrolyte, or about 7.5 Gallons for 4 batteries. So the 4 x 12V pack being 3 Gallons low is possible, but that is mighty low, hopefully the plates weren't exposed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:29 AM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

If the battery plates were exposed to air, then those batteries may have been permanently impaired / damaged. And based on your 3 gallon fill, the plates are quite likely to have been exposed.

I would be returning to your "reputable dealer" (with a not so swell service department) and letting them know that you are not too happy about receiving batteries in that condition.

At the very least, you might have grounds to get a credit from them in the future if your batteries prematurely fail on you.

For your information, the first thing that many owners of single carts do is strip off the auto watering features and install regular battery caps so that battery fluid levels can be monitored and filled manually. The auto watering feature is more for the gold course carts where they have 50 or more carts in their fleet and manual watering is not cost effective (i.e. losing a few battery packs is cheaper than watering them manually).
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I looked up the footprint of a 12V Trojan cart battery (12.875" X 7.125) and allowed 1/4" case thickness for 12.375" X 6.625" ID. That has an area of about 82SqIn.

A liquid quart has a volume of 57.75 Cubic Inches, so each quart of liquid will occupy roughly 0.7" of the empty vertical space at the top of the 12V cart battery.

Three gallons of distilled water was added to four batteries and there are 4 quarts per gallon so each battery averaged 3 quarts add.

That means the the fluid levels were at least 2.1" below the fill line, so the plates undoubtedly were exposed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
jr5018
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Note if your battery pack seems to die quicker. I was able to run about 10+ miles on a charge but after I filled the pack (about a gallon) the cart will die after 5 miles or so. It is cold here now so that is what I thought it was but now I am leaning towards an exposed and corrupted plate in a battery or four.
jr5018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
Threeput
Gone Wild

Proper level of electrolyte is when you look into the cell the water should look concave....
agree jr5018...I have a filling system with little white disc on the valve which goes up and down showing the water level....but I also pull out the valves now and again to check they not stuck as I got caught out once and had a cell needing water badly but white disk showed level OK
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:14 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoosaBuggies View Post
I just bought a 2018 RXV from a reputable dealer in the area. Batteries are original Trojans. It had the HydroLink system for adding water to the batteries but I had to order the flow-rite hand pump from Amazon. I drove it for a week while my pump arrived and when it did arrive I expected to pump a cup or so of water in given that it was just sold to me from a big dealer. A GALLON of distilled water later I was still pumping and now need to make another trip to Publix! I am just amazed that it was that low! So other than my observation of dealers not putting in water, in general, how low is really low on water and how often do others check the water? Thanks!
Do not use Publix or Albertson "distilled" water. We tested those waters after having issues that indicated they were not distilled! As it turned out, a Brix Scale measurement proved that is was not distilled, just filtered city water! Someone I know out in California nearly ruined a very expensive set of nickel/iron solar PV system cells by using "distilled" water from Albertson and Publix. They had to get a company to take each cell and fill/shake/invert untill all of the sludge in the cell bottoms was flushed out. The price to do this flushing was 25% of the cost of replacing all of the cells!

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:54 AM   #10
opelikamike
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow! I live in Ocala Florida and have been using Publix distilled water. Guess I have to find another source now. Any Florida listees have any alternate sources? Publix is by far the most prevalent grocery store chain around.
opelikamike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rxv water
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO