lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #11
thallmat
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 ezgo 36v PDS solenoid not engaging

Thanks JohnnieB These PDFs should help me find problem when I can get back to to checking circuits when I get home didn't get to check anything last night had something come up. Hope I can check some them tonight. Thanks for all the help.
thallmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2021, 07:24 PM   #12
thallmat
Not Yet Wild

Ok Guys This where I'm at checked all the circuits and here is results. Solenoid had 38.5 volts on battery side, controller side was 35.9 volts, blue small post 35.6 volts and yel post had 38.5 volts. The reed switch had full 38.5 volts, The Direction selector switch in forward pos only had 1.3 volts on both the orn/red and grn wires. Key switch the wht wire 0 volts coming out controller #8 on J1 plug. Had 38.5 volts on Pedal switch. R/T switch in run mode checked ok 38.5 volts. Grn/blk to buzzer only had 1.3 volts. going to controller #10 on J1 plug. That's as far as I got before it to dark to see. The 0 volts to dir/switch and to key switch makes me think that I may have fried controller. Any suggestions.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the plug/jack pins for burns/tarnish or distortion.

Here's a drawing showing the voltage path on its multiple trips through the controller.

----------
If it is a bad controller, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48x00 (the x stands for 3, 4 or 5 - indicating 300A, 400A or 500A XCT controller)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage paths to solenpoid highlighted.jpg (143.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #14
thallmat
Not Yet Wild

Quest. JohnnieB on controller F1&F2 flow chart shows voltage should be 2.7+-.5 volts. Will the solenoid have to be engaged to get a voltage reading? I checked mine and reading was 0 volts. I put a new For/rev switch in to rule it out. something I did find out is I get volts to on/off switch and to for/rev switch when I flip run/maint switch to Maint. and buzzer comes on, but loose it when it is flip back to run and buzzer goes off.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the Run/Tow switch is installed backwards. When in RUN, there should be battery pack voltage on all four pins of J3.

The buzzer should not sound when the Run/Tow is in the Tow position.

-----------
The 2.7V between F1 and F2 is with the rear wheels in the air and the throttle wide open. The voltage will be higher when the pedal is first pushed and the tires aren't rotating as fast.

I've never checked, but I'm pretty sure there controller has to be telling the solenoid to engage before there is voltage on F1/F2.

The controller adjusts how many amps flow through the field windings based on the number of amps flowing through the armature (and some other factors) to alter the motor's torque/speed curve on the fly.

When the armature is drawing a lot of amps, there should also be a lot of amps going through the field windings, so the voltage between F1 and F2 ought to be high, possibly close to battery pack voltage when the cart is accelerating from a standstill.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #16
thallmat
Not Yet Wild

yep you are right JohnnieB I figure that out after I posted ? earlier. I had taken switch out to ck it I didn't notice that it turn 180 degrees on inside when I tighten nut on it. I'm checking rest of circuits now but have not found anything yet. I'm following the 10 pg flow chart from pdf repair and service for PDS controller. Nothing has made the solenoid engage yet.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #17
thallmat
Not Yet Wild

Everything I've checked has been ok. But the Blue wire to Solenoid never goes - when I push petal stays +37.5 volts. is it some way to check solenoid to make it engaged? battery
side 38.5 controller side 37.5 and yellow side 38.5
Old 02-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallmat View Post
Everything I've checked has been ok. But the Blue wire to Solenoid never goes - when I push petal stays +37.5 volts. is it some way to check solenoid to make it engaged? battery
side 38.5 controller side 37.5 and yellow side 38.5
Jumper the terminal with the blue wire on it to B- terminal on the controller.

That bypasses the main coil driver in the controller, so it no longer disconnects the battery when you lift your foot off the pedal, so you now have an accident waiting for a place to happen.

Need to verify the pedal switch is putting 36V on J4 Pin-1 when pedal is pushed. (J4 pins 1 & 2 should both have pack voltage on them when pedal is pushed)

If that check out, the controller is bad.

Replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400PDS.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #19
thallmat
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB do I need to leave blue wire off solenoid with jumper installed? also where is the best place to get Xct controller they are expensive on amazon.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallmat View Post
JohnnieB do I need to leave blue wire off solenoid with jumper installed? also where is the best place to get Xct controller they are expensive on amazon.
Blue wire on or off doesn't matter.

I got my XCT here: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO