lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #1
Funbobby68
Not Yet Wild

Default New member little help please

Hey all have just acquired a 1996 club cart Ds 48 volt , want to use it at our holiday property, but have to limit top speed to 10 mph , hoping someone can shed light on easy way to do this
Thanks in advance
Funbobby68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New member little help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbobby68 View Post
Hey all have just acquired a 1996 club cart Ds 48 volt , want to use it at our holiday property, but have to limit top speed to 10 mph , hoping someone can shed light on easy way to do this
Thanks in advance

We need more information to accurately make a suggestion. What is the first 5 digits of the serial number located under dash?

Is the cart stock or has the controller been updated? Alltrax and other controllers can be adjusted to limit forward and reverse speed. Stock golf carts operate in the 12 to 14 mph range so apparently yours has been modified if it goes much faster than this.

Is the cart lifted with oversize tires?

Does it have a pie-slice shaped speed control in front of the two middle batteries?

Someone will be along to assist you.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
Funbobby68
Not Yet Wild

A9632 is the first 4 of the vin , believe the cart to be completely stock , just where I will be using they are pretty strick to a 10 mph speed limit , I have yet to test to see how fast it actually goes
Old 07-20-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
A9632 is the first 4 of the vin , believe the cart to be completely stock , just where I will be using they are pretty strick to a 10 mph speed limit , I have yet to test to see how fast it actually goes
Does the cart have a lever for forward reverse or a rocker switch? Does it have a run/ tow switch under the seat?
Old 07-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
Funbobby68
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Does the cart have a lever for forward reverse or a rocker switch? Does it have a run/ tow switch under the seat?
It’s a rocker switch, not sure if there is a tow switch, carts at my shop currently
Old 07-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
It’s a rocker switch, not sure if there is a tow switch, carts at my shop currently
This is a regen 1 cart. There is no way I know of to have the controller set a max speed of 10 MPH.

You possibly could put a mechanical stop on the potentiometer throttle or the accelerator pedal to limit your speed.

Use a smartphone app called speedometer to determine what your max speed is now. I will bet it is less than 15 tops.

Another idea that may or may not work. Unplug the speed sensor cable at the end of the motor. It may put the controller into limp in mode which is less than 10 MPH. Absolutely not sure about this.

Others may comment with more suggestions here.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There was no limp mode in 96. No tow switch either.

If it has a speed sensor, Unplugging the speed sensor means it runs wide open, so whatever speed it can reach based on the pack voltage. Which will probably be around 19-20mph.
The best hope is that someone has upgraded it already and it's got an IQ harness and controller in it.
If not, then the only speed control you'll get is to put a block under the pedal so you cant go any faster.
Or strip the entire wire harness out of it and upgrade it to IQ harness and an Alltrax or Navitas controller where you can set the speed limit yourself.

Need to know exactly what controller is in it to make any further recommendation. The early regen carts were ugly ducklings and there's no aftermarket electronics support for them because most of them failed within the first few years.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Indeed the easiest way to do this would just be to put a stop block behind the pedal...I have to do this for the farmers market down the street because some people were getting into accidents or acting the fool around customers...Cost is minimal and results are fool-proof
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #9
Funbobby68
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Indeed the easiest way to do this would just be to put a stop block behind the pedal...I have to do this for the farmers market down the street because some people were getting into accidents or acting the fool around customers...Cost is minimal and results are fool-proof
Perfect
Old 07-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #10
Funbobby68
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all for the input
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car