lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
BoogieMan2718
Not Yet Wild

Default Identify Disconnected Wire

I recently bought a 2003 Club Car DS 48v IQ cart and I am in the process of wiring up a battery meter and a kill switch. I noticed that there is a larger gauge black wire with a ring terminal on it that is disconnected (see attached picture). It is bundled with the gray fuse wire that is connected to the charging port. Does anyone know what this disconnected black wire is and where it belongs? The cart is running fine and doesn't seem to have any electrical issues as far as I can tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210805_094231 - Copy.jpg (191.2 KB, 0 views)
BoogieMan2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Identify Disconnected Wire

That appears to be the negative lead that would normally go to back of the charger receptical...Your cart may have the OBC bypassed so the place that would normally connect may go directly to main battery negative...trace the black wire on the back of the receptical...does it go to a battery Neg?
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That went to the charge receptacle, and was the charge negative going to the OBC.
It appears the OBC has been bypassed, which is common to do after the OBC fails. The OBC controls the original Club Car Powerdrive series charger, so when the OBC goes the original charger is useless. Most of the time people change to a smart charger or other brand that works on it's own and doesn't need the OBC.

What charger do you have? Brand and model number?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
BoogieMan2718
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
That went to the charge receptacle, and was the charge negative going to the OBC.
It appears the OBC has been bypassed, which is common to do after the OBC fails. The OBC controls the original Club Car Powerdrive series charger, so when the OBC goes the original charger is useless. Most of the time people change to a smart charger or other brand that works on it's own and doesn't need the OBC.

What charger do you have? Brand and model number?
You are both correct. The charging port is wired directly to the negative battery terminal. I learned something new today. I did not know that the OBC really only deals with the charging in relation to the OEM charger.

The charger that came with it is a Pro Charging Systems Eagle Performance Series Model 4818.

Thank you guys for clearing that question up for me!
BoogieMan2718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003, ds 48v iq, electrical, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car