lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
rayford52
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 ezgo ignition problem

These are the numbers on the id plate Ser: 508843 manufacture : 88M31 that is where I got the idea it is an 88. I bought this cart knowing it had ignition problems and since I have worked on small engines many years I figured this can't be too difficult. Well the guys before me messed with it and there are two wires coming out from the flywheel cover with a plug at the end, these are red and blue and the plug is hooked to nothing so I don't have any idea what they go to, I know there is supposed to be an igniter and I don't know what it looks like or where it is supposed to be, and there is a small coil that looks like a car coil only smaller laying in the engine compartment. So really I have a mess here and from what I have looked at on the net, the igniters are very expensive and also I read in one of the forms here about putting a chevy ignition on but I couldn't fine the actual post that explained it, the bottom line is, I can't afford to spend a lot on this as it is more of a hobby to try to get it going.. So if anyone has any ideas that will be great, I don't really like to take over on something that someone has already tinkered with unless I am familiar with the machine, Thanks Vernon
rayford52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 ezgo ignition problem

I assume this is a four stroke cart? You can go to the sub forum ez go gas tech and find the wiring schem. for you cart. It's just below the ez go gas section. I do know that the wires from your flywheel cover are coming from your pulsar coil. As you probably know it works in conjunction with the coil and igniter. You should have some pre formed plastic pigtail conn. that are male and female that should aid you in the location of the mating connectors. The pulsar communicates with the igniter and the igniter pulses the coil. Good luck, hope this helps..
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

Hello rayford52 and welcome to the forum!

If your cart is indeed an 88, then it has a 2-stroke, horizontal 244cc Robin/Fuji Heavy Industries engine. i THINK that the 88 was the high output model. Can you verify that the cylinder lays horizontally and it only has 1 spark plug? Pictures are always welcome too! We love to see people's rides!

I am not too sure about how the newer style ignition systems work... as ez go go mentioned, you can find wiring diagrams and manuals in the EZGO Gas Tech section. If you are indeed missing the igniter I believe I have a working used one from a parted out running cart if you are interested.

Turns out that those wires are from the pulsar coil. This is the diagram: http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/5...g8qqll2lk1.jpg

Keep us updated and pics pics pics!
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Those 2 wires coming out of the block (from the pulsar coil) are to be connected to two wires coming out of the igniter. There should be a third wire also coming out of the block and should be connected to a ground. The third wire is white in EZGOs 95 up but black in the Yamahas.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogieblack View Post
Those 2 wires coming out of the block (from the pulsar coil) are to be connected to two wires coming out of the igniter. There should be a third wire also coming out of the block and should be connected to a ground. The third wire is white in EZGOs 95 up but black in the Yamahas.
The white wire is the oil pressure switch on an ezgo, NOT A GROUND!!!
If your not sure about what your saying, it's better to just say nothing or look it up in the manual before you spout off.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO