lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
cplayer5
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with G16

I have a 98 G16 that I believe needs some help. When I first got the cart, it wouldnt pull a hill to save its life so my first order of buisness was a new belt and power kit for the driven clutch. That seemed to help but now it seems it has fallen off a bit. I pulled the carb yesterday and cleaned it up, I also replaced the plug with a BPR2ES. I didn't notice the plastic spacer everyone talks about causing power problems, is it possible to run without it? Not sure if someone messed with it before, possible found it cracked and reinstalled the carb without it, or maybe its there and I overlooked it. It also seems to have spin alittle too much prior to starting and really wont drive slow. It backfires sometimes when Im on the throttle and then back off. Does anyone have any info on carb adjustment or is it just "try it and see"? Any help would be appreciated.
cplayer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

Default Re: Help with G16

ok first off the plug you need is a bpr4es (ngk)
you need the plasitc spacer i think without it the carb won't seal well to the intake.
carb adjustments are 1 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw, and 1/4 turns in on the throttle stop screw. now i cant tell you were theses screws are on a g16, as i have a g9.
also for the backfiring, pull the airbox off and look into the mouth of the carb and ensure that the throttle plate is closing all the way when you let off on the gas petal.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
cplayer5
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, will pick up that plug today and try the other things you mentioned.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplayer5 View Post
I have a 98 G16 that I believe needs some help. When I first got the cart, it wouldnt pull a hill to save its life so my first order of buisness was a new belt and power kit for the driven clutch. That seemed to help but now it seems it has fallen off a bit. I pulled the carb yesterday and cleaned it up, I also replaced the plug with a BPR2ES. I didn't notice the plastic spacer everyone talks about causing power problems, is it possible to run without it? Not sure if someone messed with it before, possible found it cracked and reinstalled the carb without it, or maybe its there and I overlooked it. It also seems to have spin alittle too much prior to starting and really wont drive slow. It backfires sometimes when Im on the throttle and then back off. Does anyone have any info on carb adjustment or is it just "try it and see"? Any help would be appreciated.
Your NGK-BPR2ES is the correct plug for your cart. Sabercat, I use the BPR2es in all 4 cycle Yamaha's,(G16's call for it,but works well in all Yamaha 4 cycle golf car engines)but that's just me. Your G16 doesn't have the manifold withs studs that can break like G2's thru G14's, but you should check the 3 carb gaskets are there and ok (1-between cylinder and plastic spacer/1-between spacer and carb and 1 between carb and airbox). Make shure your starter/generator belt is tight. There are 2 accelerator cables, #1-from pedal to govenor, there should be some "slack" at the pedal and the same on #2-from govenor to carb. You need the "slack" so the ignition fires off before the throttle shaft opens. Sabercat is right...throttle must come to a closeing all the way. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also check to make sure your #1 cable is operating properly. They are know to break and some one may adjusted cable 2 tighter for it to run with out cable 1.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

ok i was just going by what cpp said on there site, but isn't that a big differece between a 2es and 4es? just wondering. the #ers are heat ranges right?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Correct lower number higher the heat.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

ya so i was just wondering about that
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
ya so i was just wondering about that
Was just saying I use 2's in all of them. If members feel comfortable with 4's or 5's that's cool.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
cplayer5
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help guys! I pulled the carb again this morning to check for the plastic spacer, its there and has no cracks. I had to adjust the throttle cable because it wasnt opening all the way with accelerator at WOT. Also adjusted the mixture and throttle stop screws. Took it for a spin and it feels better, better throttle response and engine starts as soon as I press the pedal. I think I have it ironed out. I saw a kit with a Uni filter and bigger jet but cant find it now, you guys have any idea where I can find that kit? Again, thanks for all the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha