lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default G1 Running poorly?

Okay here we go, I will list everything I have done and hopefully someone will have some thoughts on what I need to do next. I have a G1 that has had the case seals replaced, I have wired the exhaust flap? open, installed new fuel lines, new fuel filter, cleaned out fuel tank, new air filter, new carburetor, new spark plug, removed and cleaned fuel pump. I am not using the oil pump, I have the fuel mixed at 50:1.

When I try to start the engine it cranks for a long time, it will not start if you just barely push the pedal down enough to get it to crank, playing with the choke does not help, it will only start if you hold it wide open. Once it does start it runs pretty poor and then will run decent for a few seconds and then runs poorly again. After you shut it off it will not start up till after you have let it set for a few minuets. In the beginning of the video it cranks for about 20 seconds before it starts, at about 44seconds it picks up and runs decent and shortly there after it goes back to running poorly, at 1:56 we shut it off and try to restart it. After the video I removed the plug and it was soaked with fuel.

Help?? I am lost as what to do.

Last edited by hilla; 03-26-2011 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Bad link?
hilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Running poorly?

Take a compression test. What are your readings?
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I hadn't thought about the compression, I just bought this motor and is was running okay. I checked it and it has about 75psi going forward and about 80psi trying to start backward.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

you should be far higher than that...at least 115 or so...maybe rebuild time
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

also you are mixing WAY too much oil in your gas....is smoking like a train and that could be fouling the plug VERY VERY fast as well. Before you rebuild take your plug out and clean it really well and check your gap. Then change out your gas for a mix of like 100:1 and giver her another go see if that helps. Either way your not out any money just a hour or so of time and you need that mix even if you have to rebuild
Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Chuddly, thanks for the information, I will remix the gas, clean the plug and give that a whirl, If it doesn't work I do have the motor that came with the cart, it doesn't look real good but it was supposedly rebuilt. Maybe I will poke that one in and give it a try. I guess worst case scenario I have two engines that need rebuilt.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

rebuilding is easy...i did mine in 45 min (thats with putting up all my tools and sweeping up). so its a simple job with just basic hand tools
Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I re-mixed the gas, cleaned the plug and tried it again, still runs about the same, will not run unless I hold it wide open. I pulled that engine and installed the other engine that I have, same results. On both of these engines after I get them running and shut them off they will not start again until I pull the plug and clean it, when I remove the plug it is soaked. Don't know if my compression tester is right or not but engine # 1 shows about 75psi and engine #2 shows about 50psi. Engine #2 has been rebuilt somewhat, new head, piston and rings. I did not rebuild it my self but the parts do look new? I'm stumped at this point, I don't know if the cause of the problem is low compression on both motors or something else that is common to both of them?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
cycleone88
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hilla, did you take compression when the engines were cold? when they are cold they should read 110 or above after cranking them over for 1-2 seconds. 125 or over is ideal. you are definitely going to have to do something about the compression first if it's that low. most 2-strokes will start to develop the hard starting and rough running at low rpm's when the compression gets below 110. if you want to get by for a little while you can try leaning out your pilot mixture screw on the carb, but you have to be careful you don't get it to lean and blow it up completely. Chuddly is right though, it's a pretty darn easy job to rebuild one. especially if you already have the motor pulled.
cycleone88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
cycleone88
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

oh I was gonna say, if someone rebuilt the one motor and it's still low on compression they may have not honed the cylinder when they did it. if the cylinder looks good, hone it and put in a new set of ring and see how it runs.
cycleone88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha