lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: The G1 saga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_G1 View Post
Great find!!! What part of NC? I am just outside of Charlotte.

Picked mine up on CL for $300 and thought I got a good deal.

Glad to see the old cart being put back in service.

Keep us posted!
I am in Willow Springs, NC, south of Raleigh. I have some family up in Charlotte. $300 is a good deal for a G1, they are great carts. I hope to get this thing running pretty soon.
stevensj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Alright guys I need help. The rear left hub (from view behind cart) is locked up. I have it jacked up and with some PB blaster and wacking the tire with a sledge hammer, I got it to move back and forth about a millimeter but not much more than that. Anyone have any ideas or tactics? I should be able to get it running but without the wheel spinning I don't think its safe for the tranny.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I would probably remove the tire and try to remove the brake drum. It sounds like the shoes may be rusted to the drum. If you are lucky you can get it all apart and just clean the rust off of everything. If it's not rusted it may be in the differential. You will be able to tell once you remove the brake drum, the spindle should spin easy it the rusted drum is the problem.
hilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

how would i remove the drum on the G1? It doesn't have any nuts or bolts on the axle or anything, its just there... I'm baffled
Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Sorry about that, I was thinking of a G16. I will have to take a look at mine when I get home to see how it comes apart. I have never had one off on my G1. Hopefully someone much smarter and that pays attention to the thread will be along shortly with better information.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you think the axle assembly and everything is the same on the G1 as the G14? Or would atleast work? I have two G14s just sitting around that are huge projects so if I could steal the whole axle, hub, and axle housing as one whole unit and just swap it on than it would be perfect
Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Anyone have any reccomendation as to a Yamaha Blaster Carburator? I have been working on blasters for about 8 years now and have enough parts to build 10 of em, so I figured i might as well pull out a carb from the shed and see if that does any good for the cart. Even without a performance gain, the carb on the G1 is really nasty and I have a brand new blaster carb I am not using so it may be viable to swap the blaster carb on. I am searching the forums now but haven't found much
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Stevens, I'm not super well versed in these carts but from what I understand the G14 and G1 do use different axles. The G14 has a reverse gear and the G1 spins the motor backwards to go in reverse. As far as the Blaster carb I have no idea. I got home late last night so I didn't get a chance to look at the drum / brake assembly on my G1 to see how it comes apart. I did look it up online, or at least the part diagram and it looks like I mentioned. I have heard of having to use a puller to remove the brake drum. If the drum is rusted to the shoes it will likley be a bugger to get apart.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah. I am not sure whats going on with it, but I am looking into buying a used axle that works instead. To be honest I only have $125 cash to put into this thing entirely so I am using it sparely. The battery is gonna cost $50 at the cheapest anyway, so I am bringing a bunch of old lawn mower batteries in for a core charge and get some money for a new one like that
Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Once you remove the wheel, the brake drum "should" slide right off over the wheel studs. Something is probably rusted up. Check the brake lever sticking out of the backing plate. Can you pull it back towards the rear of the cart? If not, maybe the cable is stuck, keeping the brakes applied. Disconnect the cable and try again. If the lever still will not move, the mechanism inside the drum is rusted and stuck. Try hitting on the lever with a hammer to move the lever and release the brakes. Once you get the lever back, the brake drum should turn. If you cannot get the drum off the hub, spray the area around the wheel studs with penetrating oil, and hit with a hammer between the studs. The drum should eventually pop loose.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha