lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
rbahri5206
Not Yet Wild

Default Mid 80s g1 loud

Hey guys does anybody have any tricks to quite down a g1 the exhaust is a little loud going down the road I was thinking of making the tail pipe longer any ideas would be great thanks
rbahri5206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
cambio
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Mid 80s g1 loud

I have an 81 model which I use twice a week on a private nine hole course in Virginia. I've had it 15 years and it has gotten louder in the last two or three years.

I figured the baffles in the muffler must have rusted away, so I ordered a new one. Then it made just as much if not more noise. So I removed it and put a new gasket as well. Seemed just a bit quieter, but barely. While I was inspecting the two rings which the muffler pipe fits over, one broke, so I discarded it and have only one. Still have a tight fit, so I don't believe that is where the noise is coming from.

Someone told me they thought it was the clutch. At first I didn't thinks so, but after the muffler replacement, what else can it be. Now I'm thinking the normal noise of the 2 stroke in combination with the clutch must be creating a concert of racket.
cambio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Rosati
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Two stroke are going to be noisey.
You do not actually have a "muffler" in as much as it is more
of an expansion chamber. Remeber that two strokes do not
have valves. They rely on the porting in the cylinder wall to
intake and exhaust the air. On the intake, the piston is pulling
down and drawing fuel/air into the cylinder. As the piston rises,
the reed valve prevents the mix from blowing back into the carb,
but not into the exhaust chamber. Only as the piston is just closing
the exhaust port do you actually get compression.
The expansion chamber of the exhaust system is designed to
reverb the intake charge lost into the chamber back into the
cylinder there by increasing the mix in the cylinder.

If you change the shape and size of the expansion chamber, you
can "tune" your exhaust be changinge the reverb ratio and timing
of the mix being pulled back in and the amount.

I suggest you read this article to get a better understanding.
http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/how...care-3423.html

You could try putting a larger pipe two or three times the diameter
over the stinger of your exhaust and connecting a muffler to that.
But it will increase backpressure.
Rosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
kcnaz
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Inside a 2 stroke G1 muffler, 1979 model. It was folded up when it was built, I straighten out all the flanges, welded all the cracks in the baffle flanges and reassembled. Mine is not that noisy, zestfully 2 stroke really. Very easy process to investigate.
kcnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Other than making sure there are no leaks along the exhaust system there is nothing that can be done. As explained by Rosati there is really no sound absorbing qualities about the "muffler". The exhaust noise is directly proportional to the load on the engine and the pressure within the cylinder as the piston uncovers the exhaust port. If the motor has been rebuilt with a larger piston or the head shaved it will make more noise than a stock engine due to the higher pressure within the cylinder. A carb adjusted rich will also make slightly more noise. One area to look at is the sound proofing material around the wheel openings on the body. If some of this material is missing or badly worn more noise will escape from the engine compartment in a direction that can be easily heard. If you really want to make things quieter line the inside of the body with foam, covered with a foil sheet. This material is commonly used on the inside of engine compartments on all types of equipment to control heat and noise.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha