lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: how to lift it cheap

Here we go... I gotta' chime in. (this is going to be "long winded")

When I bought my cart new, it had a Z lift, and 22" tires on it from the factory,
not knowing any better at the time, I bought it anyway just because... well... I liked it!

Once I got more into browsing the golf cart forums, I realized just how much you can do with these things!
So I looked into possibly lifting my cart to around 6" or 8" rather then just the 4",
I really wanted to get an A-arm or a long travel lift, but, after finding out that my frame was cut, (with 2" of it missing)
I tried to find an alternative...

I thought about the "straight" brackets, but, I felt that one good side hit in a "tire to rock" situation,
it would toss the whole front end off to one side, and I would have to go back to square one,
and have to replace the straight brackets... not something I'd want to do every couple years...

And then I could have done something else...
I know a GREAT welder that could have patched a piece of frame back in on both sides,
but, he was concerned mostly about IF it will be straight and true,
AND... the only way I could have gotten "peices" of a frame,
was to buy a complete used frame from my CC Dealer, and it would have run about $150. (worth it in scrap at the time)

I ended up putting a Jake's 3" spindle lift on top of my Z lift to fit my 25" tires.
I've been advised... and I will continue to advise... NOT to put a lift on top of a lift!
It's working fine for me, and nothing has gone wrong for as much as I beat the **** out of it!

NOW... I'm NOT unhappy with what I have... I just wish that I could have had more "alternatives" to play with!

because... I can't go back!

my .02
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
dawghouse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

nice job on the lift
dawghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
turners garage
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
If you Z the frame you will need to add an extension to the steering coupling.
And most people kinda flinch about cutting the frame.
This is what I've done to a couple of DS and Carry Alls.

wow what a nice job on the extension bracket you made i think thats the way to go ,,is that 3/4 bar stock on the front spindles,,thanks turners..
turners garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
mudslinger
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

how did you hook the steering up di you add on to anything
mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

i started out with this same question with my cart and come to find there realy is no cheap way to lift a cart unless you already have free/ leftover/ materials and the abilaty to fab and the free time to do it. other than that, you still have to buy the tires n wheels. ok now i did build my own lift, yes i did make a Z-lift and leaf over n block the rear. one i see on problem of a z lift everyone talks about cutting the fram and how permanate it is, well ya can weld aluminum, so it can be welded back but of corse i would add aluminum flat bar over laps to both sides, and you could boilt it in too, but anyways like said i made my lift took me about a day to get it all perfect. my tolal cost because i already had materails needed other than the grade-8 boilts, nuts, washers, n lock washers, i have fifty bucks in the lift alone, then i bought new 10" steel wheels from everything carts cost i think it was 1007 bucks, they had a deal with orders over 100 bucks free shipping so i saved around 30 bucks because of that. i put on a set of used tires 23"x10"x10"'s that only cost me a 5 min weld job on my neighbors aluminum john boat but later found a clearance deal on some 24"x11"x10"'s for 40 eack brand new tires. so i still ended up with over 300 in total cost wich to me is not cheap. but for my pocket its much easier to do a little at a time versuse shelling it all out at once. so i belive the only true awencer to a cheap lift is just buy a little at a time and stroe it in the garage untill complet then put it all on because in the long run its still going to cost close to the same as going to ebay or some place and buying a cheap lift-wheel-tire combo package. only difference is shelling it all out a once or over time
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
brownman61
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

crash12888

I like your approach to lifting the front of the CC DS products without cutting the frame. How did you handle the connection between the steering gear assembly and the arm of the spindle? And what does you new shock mount look like at the top of the front shocks? Thx.
brownman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
GatorsUF
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman61 View Post
crash12888

I like your approach to lifting the front of the CC DS products without cutting the frame. How did you handle the connection between the steering gear assembly and the arm of the spindle? And what does you new shock mount look like at the top of the front shocks? Thx.
Ditto

Love the concept, just curious on steering and driveshaft with that setup. As well as upper shock mounts, although I assume you just lowered them down on the same bar.
GatorsUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 AM   #18
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:

I too would love to see how you hooked up the steering. That looks great and I love saying I built my lift kits.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas 1988 clubcar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car