lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
SimplyMe
Not Yet Wild

Default Looses power and beeps

Here is what I have. Stock 1997 EZGO Tretron 36v. Everything has been working fine until yesterday. Did the normal day ride around the farm. Got up this morning and here is what happened... Turn key on, go in reverse or forward slowly all is well but as soon as I give it half or more throutle. It dies! Turn the key off, It beeps none stop. No sequence of beeps. Just none stop beeping. Turn the controllor switch to "Tow" and back to "Run" and it resets itself. Can anyone help me?
SimplyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Looses power and beeps

The F/R switch is by your knee right? and when you say all it does is beep, is that a steady beep, or beep beep beep and will not stop untill you flip the tow/run before it stops?? how old are the batteries, and what is the battery pack volts??
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
SimplyMe
Not Yet Wild

Yes the switch is by my knee. Then you get a beep, beep, beep, beep ect (non stop) when you turn the key off. Flip the tow/run switch to tow then back to run and it resets itself. Batteries are from June of 2011 but only have been in use for the last 2 months. Voltage is at 41 volts sitting still.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had a big problem once like this with a DCS cart...turns out that the motor had shorted out...not saying thats your problem but it took me forever to figure that out on mine...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That at rest battery voltage (41V) sounds a bit high, or it could be that the batteries haven't been off charge very long and still have a surface charge.

Should be about 38.2V about 12 hours after charger shuts off automatically.
Driving cart slowly for a few minutes will also deplete the surface charge.

What is pack voltage when it starts beeping?

-----------

How were the batteries maintained during the year they weren't being used?

---------

Check the ITS.
Lift rear wheels off ground (put on jackstands) and do not run at full throttle very long or you could damage motor.
Run/Tow = Run
Key = ON
F/R = either F or R
Pedal = Up
Voltage on Pin-2 (Black wire) of controller plug should be over 14.0V, but less than 16.0V
If so measure voltage at Pin-1 (White wire)
Press pedal until solenoid clicks.
Should be between 0.43V and 0.53V when solenoid first clicks.
Slowly press pedal to floor.
Voltage should smoothly increase to at least 1.5V

------------
If the battery pack is good (not dropping down under load) and the ITS are good, chances are that the controller is failing.

DCS controllers (Curtis 1206SX) aren't the most reliable ones EZGO put in carts, so if you have to replace it, go with an aftermarket one.
The Alltrax NCX300 controller is Plug 'N Play and will give use a bit more Torque and speed.
If you want more oomph, the DCX controllers come in 300A, 400A, 500A and 600A, and are field programmable.
Of course, you'd have to do some additional upgrades to use the higher amp controllers.

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
SimplyMe
Not Yet Wild

Ok I found some info out on my cart. I bought this cart from a buddy a few monthes ago. Here is what I know. Batteries were bought in June 2011. He ran the cart for a hour or so and then th controler went bad. He did nothing with the cart until I bought it (stored cart in garage). He got the control fixed and sold it to me a few monthes ago. I put the control in myself and all has been good until the other day. Came home today and the charge is at 38.2. When I checked it before. I had just unpluged the charger. So I dont think it is my batteries. I did the ITS check as JohnnieB suggested and all checked out good. Black wire staied at 14v, white wire increased to 1.5v. And when I slowly increase speed. The throutle goes to the floor running. But when I mash on the throutle... it falls on its face. And here is some more info. When this happened the other day. My son had washed the cart without me knowing. He said he did not spray the motor but who knows. So after reading camaroluvz28 reply post. Maybe my motor is shorting out?! So how can I check to see if my problem is my motor?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyMe View Post
...................And when I slowly increase speed. The throutle goes to the floor running. But when I mash on the throutle... it falls on its face.............
Are you saying, the cart runs normally when you accelerate slowly, but fails when you try to accelerate quickly?

In other words, the system works fine as long as you don't try to pass a lot of amps through it.

To me, that sounds like the battery pack is failing or the controller is failing.
Toss in the fact that the beeper beeps, which is controlled by controller, until controller is reset, I lean towards controller issues.

DCS controllers are not waterproof and wet controllers do strange things, so you might just have a wet controller.

Try drying it out with a hair drier.

If that doesn't fix it, What is the battery pack voltage when the cart fails?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here was the issue with the cart I was working on...customer had it three diff dealerships and nobody could figure it out...The cart would lose voltage after sitting for a couple of days, so there was an obvious draw somewhere. After realizing It didnt have a back-up buzzer I installed a new one. After install and cart was placed into run position it had a constant beep...not the back-up buzz but just beep beep beep over and over. I determined from this the controller was prob bad so I replaced ...still did the same thing. After hours of contemplating I figured it out and made sense...The carts motor had shorted and was sending a signal to the controller telling it the cart was rolling away...hints the constant beeping which is the rollaway feature on a DCS...like I said maybe not your problem but I thought I would share anyway for refference...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Here was the issue with the cart I was working on...customer had it three diff dealerships and nobody could figure it out...The cart would lose voltage after sitting for a couple of days, so there was an obvious draw somewhere. After realizing It didnt have a back-up buzzer I installed a new one. After install and cart was placed into run position it had a constant beep...not the back-up buzz but just beep beep beep over and over. I determined from this the controller was prob bad so I replaced ...still did the same thing. After hours of contemplating I figured it out and made sense...The carts motor had shorted and was sending a signal to the controller telling it the cart was rolling away...hints the constant beeping which is the rollaway feature on a DCS...like I said maybe not your problem but I thought I would share anyway for refference...
I'm wondering if loosing B+ on Pin-5 or Pin-9 on a DCS controller might also trick it into the roll-away mode, but that doesn't match up with the symptoms. Gets up to speed if done slowly, but dies if pushed too hard.

I suspect something got wet and whatever it is, it will probably work just fine once it dries out.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
rib33024

not sure what this mean?? if you haven't unplugged the charger and took a battery reading and it was 38.2 there is some thing wrong,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyMe View Post
Ok I found some info out on my cart. I bought this cart from a buddy a few monthes ago. Here is what I know. Batteries were bought in June 2011. He ran the cart for a hour or so and then th controler went bad. He did nothing with the cart until I bought it (stored cart in garage). He got the control fixed and sold it to me a few monthes ago. I put the control in myself and all has been good until the other day. Came home today and the charge is at 38.2. When I checked it before. I had just unpluged the charger. So I dont think it is my batteries. I did the ITS check as JohnnieB suggested and all checked out good. Black wire staied at 14v, white wire increased to 1.5v. And when I slowly increase speed. The throutle goes to the floor running. But when I mash on the throutle... it falls on its face. And here is some more info. When this happened the other day. My son had washed the cart without me knowing. He said he did not spray the motor but who knows. So after reading camaroluvz28 reply post. Maybe my motor is shorting out?! So how can I check to see if my problem is my motor?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO