lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Knack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking New to me car - need to test motor and controller

Hey guys.
First post - first car.

I just got a 2000 TXT PDS (according to the serial number) for $200 from our school's property auction. The body is in great shape, it has a tilt platform on the back, very little rust, but no batteries or charger.

Before I go spend $$$ on some batteries, other than ohming out the motor, is there a way I can do more testing on it and the controller so see what my $200 bought?

I know I can buy the batteries and a charger and go that route, but the CFO would like me to do more investigating to make sure that I don't have to replace everything under the seat to make it go.

Thanks guys.

Chris
Knack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to me car - need to test motor and controller

You can use 3 12v batteries for testing on jack stands, Don't rev it up and don't try to drive it or damage may ensue. Just see if it works the tires forward and back and the brakes stop the tires.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You have three 12 volt battery's to use to check it out with...?
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Knack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Actually yes! My F350 diesel dually with 2 batteries and my tractor with 1. Great idea Scott!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Be sure to put Run/Tow switch in Tow before connecting the batteries
Or when doing any electrical work on cart.

You can download the Owner, Service and Parts manuals from the Stickies.

BTW - The 36V DPI that Scotty sells is what I use.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Knack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty and Johnnie, thanks for the great advice.

I downloaded all of the docs for my car as suggested and printed them out and became familiar with the run/tow switch.

So Saturday morning I yanked the 2 batteries from my dually and pulled the tractor up close enough to use that battery. I jacked up the back end of the car and voila! I have motion! That afternoon I went to a local ma and pa cart shop and picked up 6 T-105's (decided to spend more on those for the long term as recommended by everyone). I also got a charger from a guy down the street that had one for sale. Its a Dual Pro i3625. I did charge the batteries all the way and resisted the urge to take the car out once the batteries were installed. Scotty, I left you a voicemail Saturday about a charger but you can disregard that.

Thanks to all and all of the members of the board for the great info on helping me get my new-to-me car going.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knack View Post
Scotty and Johnnie, thanks for the great advice.

I downloaded all of the docs for my car as suggested and printed them out and became familiar with the run/tow switch.

So Saturday morning I yanked the 2 batteries from my dually and pulled the tractor up close enough to use that battery. I jacked up the back end of the car and voila! I have motion! That afternoon I went to a local ma and pa cart shop and picked up 6 T-105's (decided to spend more on those for the long term as recommended by everyone). I also got a charger from a guy down the street that had one for sale. Its a Dual Pro i3625. I did charge the batteries all the way and resisted the urge to take the car out once the batteries were installed. Scotty, I left you a voicemail Saturday about a charger but you can disregard that.

Thanks to all and all of the members of the board for the great info on helping me get my new-to-me car going.
Good to hear another success story
Research your charger and make sure you have a golf cart charger, not a trickle type... I don't know just a word of caution about your big battery investment.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Knack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Scott. Here's the charger: http://www.dualpro.com/products/performance/ . It's the second one pictured.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's a good charger... Will keep the battery pack up to par...
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pds, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO