lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Longjack
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Seems to constantly foul plugs

Inherited a G16 a couple years ago (believe it's a 1997 model) here in the Bahamas that we use every other month when we come over.
Was having probelms with it running, so I replaced carb, but never adjusted it, and every few trips over here the only way to keep it running is to replace spark plug.
Local cart "fix-it" guy says the reason plug keeps fouling is because its getting too much gas and he wants to pull head and reseat valve(s) by "lapping" (which I think means grinding) them.
Sounds like a big job, and was wondering if I shouldn't consider other solutions such as making sure carb is adjusted correctly.
Am somewhat mechanical, but I have never adjusted a carb.
Maybe should also mention that it has never run without having the choke cable pulled out which is really not been a problem, but thought it might give a clue as to my issue.
Would adjustring the carb be a good place to start before letting him go into the engine, and if so, any advice as to how to adjust the 2 screws, one which is very small and had a black plastic cap on it?
Thanks for any advice.
Longjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Seems to constantly foul plugs

I would suggest doing a maintenance service on it as follows:

1. Oil change - replace 1 qt only (synthetic if available).
2. Replace spark plug with hotter NGK BPR2ES
3. Grease clutches - 2 pumps only in each clutch.
4. Replace air filters - make sure airbox seals properly.
5. Adjust valves.

This should not cost you very much (less than $50) and will give you a good starting point. The new air filters may help the most.(anyway, your cart will love you for it). The BPR2ES is a hotter plug and should also help.

Now run it and see how it goes. If the plug still fouls from rich mixture, maybe the main jet is at fault. The adjustment screw is the pilot jet for low speed operation and I don't think would cause fouling if misadjusted (I may be wrong here and others will chime in). The fouling may also be from oil. Does the cart burn oil ?? I have seen where gas can dilute your oil, so the oil change should help also. Keep us advised on how it goes. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

P.S. - I forgot to add, a fresh tank of gas with some fuel stabilizer added would also be good to do. Not sure of the quality of the local gas there!! - RAY
Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Longjack
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for what looks to be some great advice. And sorry in advance for the below multiple questions.
Can accomplish most of the suggestions, short of finding a new air filter here. Is there a way I could try and clean existing one until I can get a replacement from the States?
Am using your recommended plug.
Any special oil on oil change?
As to adjustment screws....which is which as I think I see 2.
Many thanks again.
Longjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Correct oil to use is 10W-30. Regular dino oil is ok, synthetic (like Mobil 1, etc.) is best.

Here is a quote I found that covers carb. adjustment:
"So as not to confuse you there are 2 adjustments on the carburetor. One is the idle adjustment screw or the low speed adjuster (because these cars don't really idle). It is the adjuster that goes in at an angle and it is the one closest to the engine. It comes stock with a plastic limiting cap on it. If you take that cap off, and you do need to clean it on occasion, you can adjust it and that one gets adjusted 1 1/2 turns out. The other screw that GCtech is talking about is the throttle stop screw. That one should be adjusted so it just touches the tang on the throttle arm of the carburetor."

The air filter is a paper element and usually, any attempts at cleaning make things worse, so I wouldn't recommend cleaning. I've seen these filter tune up kits on E-bay. Perhaps you could have one shipped to you. Good luck - RAY
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha