lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Dh2
Not Yet Wild

Default New Project 1998 Club Car DS Gas

This is my first gas cart, I want to lift it add a back seat and camo it out for hunting. As well whatever I can to get some more speed!!!
Questions / Ideas on / Opinions:

1. Lift kit brand / type “looking for an 8” lift I hope”
2. Backseat kits
3. Any performance parts / kits
4. Wheel and tire combo

If you have one lifted let’s see it, as well if you are in my area and selling anything used I can use let me know…

League City, TX

Thanks,
Darren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2072.jpg (141.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2070.jpg (71.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2069.jpg (80.3 KB, 0 views)
Dh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: New Project 1998 Club Car DS Gas

I've got a 99 CC DS with the FE-290 motor, so I'll chime in with a few things that I've done and can give input on...

Lift - I have a 6" lift instead of 8" but I went with the Allsports Super Sport 6" Double A-Arm lift. Installation is pretty straight forward, took about 4 hours to complete. I went ahead and replaced the leaf spring bushings while I had those disconnected and added an add-a-leaf helper spring to the leaf spring pack to beef them up incase I decide to add a rear flip seat later. I also replaced my rear shocks with Monroe automotive shocks while everything was disassembled. I'm very happy with the setup and love the way it looks.

Rear seat - I don't have one but I've been considering the Allsports seat, which is available from a number of site sponsors.

Performance - once you lift the cart, assuming you don't have a big block motor, you'll lose a lot of torque. To compensate for the torque loss, I sent my driven clutch to Cart Parts Plus and had it machined and had a torque spring installed. I'm happy with this setup and gained back a lot of the torque. I have also zip-tied the governor but left the rev limiter intact. This will give you some good top end speed, I get around 22MPH. Only other things I've done are oil, plug, and filter change, fuel line change, added a tach (since the governor is zipped), rear view mirror, windshield, and headlights.

Tires/Wheels - I went with the SS212B 23x12 wheels and Mohave A/T tires. They work well for me since I'm on pavement a lot with some occassional offroading. I got my lift, tires, and wheels from East Coast Custom Carts (site sponsor).

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (131.6 KB, 0 views)
mndanielsncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

How much did the driven clutch mod cost? My Allsports 6" SS lift will be here Monday and I may be doing this as well.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
How much did the driven clutch mod cost? My Allsports 6" SS lift will be here Monday and I may be doing this as well.
The clutch machining costs $50 plus the cost for you to ship it to Cart Parts Plus. They received mine and shipped it back out within a day so I had it back within a week of sending it.
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/perform...dc9b4632e231c6

As for the torque spring, it costs $45 and CPP installed it for free when they had my clutch.
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-car-power-kit.html

I'm not sure how much torque the spring added, so if you were to only spend the money on one mod or the other, I'd definitely go with the machining. Everything I've read on here and experienced with mine has been positive.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

And the Allsports lift doesn't come with new leaf spring bushings, right? I was looking at mine a few minutes ago and they definitely need replacing.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Dh2. But this is good info for you, right?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
And the Allsports lift doesn't come with new leaf spring bushings, right? I was looking at mine a few minutes ago and they definitely need replacing.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Dh2. But this is good info for you, right?
The Allsports lift does not come with leaf spring bushings, so I bought 2 sets from CPP - here's the link: http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-ca...g-bushing.html

My bushings were totally dry-rotted and falling apart, so it was a good time to replace them.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

A few more thoughts - the Allsports instructions are not very good at all, just one piece of paper, so be ready for that. I looked them over the night before with all of the parts and it made things a little easier for installation. Post any questions and I'm sure people will chime in, I just installed mine about a month ago so I should be able to help.

I had to replace the front ball joints while installing the lift because mine were looking rough. May not be necessary on yours though. Also, there is a ground wire that runs from the starter to the body under the seat... mine snapped when installing the lift because of the change in height. I got a replacement battery cable that was longer and replaced it so I could take the newly lifted cart out for a spin. Again, may be different on your cart given the age difference.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Dh2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys appreciate all the info so far, how can I find out how many HP this motor is??? It looks completely stock and original...
Dh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The motor in your '98 is probably an FE290, which I think is 9hp. My motor is a KF82 flathead, rated at 8hp.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: New Project 1998 Club Car DS Gas

dh2, galveston waving a high 5
is the cart for hunting or neighbor hood play?

i ask this because set up is important, i have the 7.5 allsports lift, i would also go with an aluminum rear seat, the steel ones dont last long down here.the first rear seat i bought only lasted a year, then the tubing just rusted to where it broke in many places....

as far as the motor,mine is stock and i get 22mph at 3800 rpms, a far cry from the 10 mph when i first got it.

hope this helps, this is the place to come to for info, site sponsors, mechanics, and people with great knowledge. all of the stuff i have purchased has come from this web site

good luck
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car