lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
harryjt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default painting a txt

i have a 97 txt. My wife wants to change the color from white to a yellow. what do you guys do for painting. I have been debating on bring it to a body shop or giving it a rattle can. I would like to have a decent paint job ,it doesn't have to be show car perfect. thanks
harryjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: painting a txt

well, truely it depends on what you are expecting for a rattle can job.....but don't expect a lot. just remember, your carts body is PLASTIC....and to PROPERLY paint a plastic body, you will need some adhesion promoter or the paint won't STICK very well. OR if a rattle can job will do, both Krylon and Rust-Oleum have rattle can paint made for plastics, like you were going to paint plastic patio furniture or something. Personally, I would be a bit more picky. I would have a PRO do it.... or see if there is anyone is your areas "Craig's List" that paints carts and you jst give them your body as a core when they deliver theirs or you pick it up. There are a few in my area, and the cost is $300 and they even do custom graphic. Just a thought.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I used to have carts painted all the time. The shop I ran was a sister company to a body shop.
Here's how we painted them. It took me approx 1 week to do. bring it to me Monday morning, and you get it back Friday afternoon.

WE scuffed down the boddies. painted them with a etching primer and than a base/clear coat like a car. The painter also added a flex agent so the paint wouldn't crack as easy. After that I sent it to the detail they buffed it to a mirror shine. I charged customers $500 for a single color paint job. SOUNDS expensive, but I removed the bodies. It looked better than a new car sitting on the show room floor of a dealer. told the cusotmer how it was painted and they could wash/wax like you would your car.

LIKE stated it all depends on what you want.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just had mine painted at a local Maaco. Cost was $450. I know it's expensive, but they did a remarkable job. Scuffed the body, fixed some scratches, adhesion promoter, primed & painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1487.JPG (548.6 KB, 0 views)
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check with any local body shop. Get some recommendations from friends and neighbors about who the better ones are. Then check to see who isn't busy, or as busy as the rest. Not busy equates to hungry. Take the parts to him and see what kind of deal you can work out. Usually, if they don't have to mess with taking the parts off or putting them back on, you can get a real good deal.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
harryjt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i called a few local body shops. prices came back between 600 to 700 for the job. So i decide to hit the local autobody supply an picked up a quart of paint and all the necessary stuff to go with it. I have painted cars in the past with my father,so ill have to break out the old guns an go for it. I have always was on the end of the sand paper while my father worked the gun. He is tied up with hip replacement surgery. Crash course in painting is in my future. thanks guys
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good luck with it. Just remember, putting more on is a lot easier than taking some off.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
cibach
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That seems a bit steep? Most places I have seen are no more than 500. I have a local cart dealer that will do a front ST co for 200 and the rear body for 250. They haven't colors in stock and I can just bring my body in and if they have the color I like I can walk out same day.
cibach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I grew up building and racing r/c trucks, the real expensive nitro powered type made by HPI and Traxxas. I bring this up because you can go to hobby stores like HobbyTownUSA in most states or a comparable store like them and get paint that is designed to be painted on plastics. I use to do real nice airbrush work to create my custom bodies for my trucks and never had the paint flake off the plastic body which was heavily abused do to being ran hard, severely wrecked at times and super thin plastic to keep weight down. The ability for paint to flex on the plastic cart body is important. Just throwing out there a possible idea for a specific design paint for plastics. Can be bought in aerosol cans or in a bottle for airbrush etc. I have never tried it on a cart body but when I first built mine my intention was to paint it a copper color, my wife loves that color but feel in love with the white black look so did not paint mine.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
harryjt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The auto body store i went to,sold me a spray that helps the primer to stick to the plastic. They also have a flex additive you can add to the paint. I asked them about it ,and they said i would only need it if i was going to be really flexing the plastic. I am going to be spraying a acrylic enamel . I guess that paint is pretty flexible in the first place.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO