lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Old Gas Clubcar, no igntion switch.

All Club Car DS ignition keys are the same. They're just flat smooth keys and are not specific to any model. If I flew across the pond to your house in the UK, I could use my Club Car key to drive off with your cart...that is of course, if it runs!
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard101 View Post
Thanks for that, i will definitely confirm the year once home.
It looks to definitely be a pre-1993 cart, judging by the steering wheel and the contours of the nose piece. Just for fun, I'll guess that it's an '89. We'll see if I'm right. You can tell by the serial number up under the passenger side glove box. It'll say "AGxx..." The two numbers directly after the "AG" are the year, so if it's an '89, the serial number will start out "AG89xx..."
Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
richard101
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

well its a good thing they aren't very common round me then !!
its been absolutely chucking it down here so put off checking till tomorrow ...

will keep you updated :)
richard101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
richard101
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

also forgot to add it looks like there is something stuck inside the ignition so doubtful if a key would even fit....
will order a new ignition tomorrow after having a look at if anything else is worn...

any advice on this
"from what the previous owner has said it did start two years ago but would crank for a while with the pedal depressed before starting..... would that be due to a faulty/worn starter?"

cheers
Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

No, if it turns over, it could be bad gas, dirty carb or spark plug, loose ground....
figure out the year of the cart, get the key switch, then find out what's going on with it!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #16
~Capt Creole~
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks for that, i will definitely confirm the year once home. My son was having a look through boxes and has come across this ignition. Looks like its the one but as expected no keys and the front looks like a screwdriver or something has been shoved in. would still definitely want to get a new ignition though! from what the previous owner has said it did start two years ago but would crank for a while with the pedal depressed before starting..... would that be due to a faulty/worn starter?

all replies are much appreciated... on a learning curve with this one!

cheers
Keys are universal fit. Just order one or two for your year and it should work. Assuming its in working order.

Maybe they lost the key and that was their fix. To remove it.
~Capt Creole~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #17
richard101
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Finally had a chance to check on the buggy and its AG87 so confirms it a DS 1987.

looking at the ignition wiring it looks like the wires were just cut off and when i tried to undo the screws on the ignition as expected they have completely seized hence why they've cut the wires at some point....

have ordered a tune up kit and new ignition from USA so won't get them for at least a week or two :( in the meantime how easy is it to clean out the carburettor? does it have to be taken out to work on from my bench?
I also don't hold out much hope for the battery, thats on a battery conditioner now and will load test it in due course.

As usual any advice is much appreciated!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #18
richard101
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quick update...

Noticed there was a small amount of fuel/gas in the tank so drained that out and then took the carburettor out to my bench. the float needle was stuck shut and the carb interior in general was somewhat gummy..... rather than cleaning and hoping it works I've placed another order for a new carb. also ordered a new drive belt and generator belt and some new fuel line. I also ordered a fuel pump just in case considering the one fitted seems to be the original one ..... they combined shipping and couldn't help myself :p

oh and also ordered some new seat covers....... and floor covers........

I think i need to put the credit card away now...... :)
Old 05-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
richard101
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

oh also forgot to add: come across what i hope is a small fix, when trying to apply the parking brake it keeps popping back into the disengaged position... not sure where to start with that. any suggestions?

thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
oh also forgot to add: come across what i hope is a small fix, when trying to apply the parking brake it keeps popping back into the disengaged position... not sure where to start with that. any suggestions?

thanks
I had this happen with my cart when I was messing with the length of the long rod that runs from the pedal under the floorboard to the black box next to the battery. I think that if you make it too long it messes up the relationship between the pedal and the e-brake. I lengthened it too much and then had to back it off in order for the e-brake to work again.

Here's some pics I made awhile back that show the rod I'm talking about:

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car