lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
mortimer
Getting Wild

Default Loss of power

Ok new issue this year. I have my '86 CC DS that was rebuilt a few years back and has been running great since. Now I have really noticed a loss of power going uphills. Thought it was the old drive belt. Got a new one and put it on. Was thinking I probably needed to adjust for it also, but it seems a bit tight. Cart wants to go right away. And actually the power loss is even more evident. I see no leaks anywhere as if the head gasket or anything else in the motor is leaking. And it runs great other than the loss of power uphills. Both clutches seem to be working fine. I have watched them when in service mode to see if one might be sticking. I am at loss as to why it seems to be lacking all power going uphill. I mean if you go really slow and try to speed up on any type of a decent hill, there is no power to pick up any speed at all till you get to level ground. Im confused. Please help.
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Loss of power

If the cart seems to be running well other than on the hills I'd start with a compression test. I would say that any compression below 80-90psi may cause a low power situation like the one you describe. You said the cart was rebuilt, do you mean the motor was rebuilt? If you do have low compression, I'd start with making sure the head bolts on top are still tightly torqued.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
mortimer
Getting Wild

Yep the engine was seized. The engine was run with a wired govenor and the rod seized to the crankshaft. Got lucky and the crank was fine. Had to do a bit of work to the tappets and reseat the valves. I bored and honed it to .05 over also. This thing had sat for a few years, 6 to be exact, without a plug in it. Hence there being a bit of rust in the cylinder and valves. I am a machinist and have the means to do the work so it was easy to do. Just am at loss as to why all the sudden this year it has no power.

The covers are blocking half of the head and cylinder but there appears to be no carbon like deposits around those areas like i have seen when a head gasket usually leaks. But I will take your advice and check those bolts as soon as I get a chance. Thanks, Anyone else think of anything let me know it would be greatly appreciated. I will update when i check it.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The motor in mine blew up right before I got it. It was the reason I got it, lol. But I wasn't so lucky. Rod bent and crank was egged out. I ended up finding a used motor instead.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
mortimer
Getting Wild

Finally got to cart after a crap load of rain and a swamped yard. The head bolts did seem to need a bit of tightening. I didnt have a torque wrench on me but they all seemed a bit on the loose side. I got excited and thought that might be the reason for my power loss. One trip up the hill and no difference. She starts and runs like a champ. But there is just no power going uphill. I'd figure on an oil leak if there were a seal leak right? Maybe I just need a to invest in a compression tester to be downright sure. What is a good one for a decent price. Always needed one for small engines anyway. Just dont want to spend a fortune.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Compression tester is what you need.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Maybe I just need a to invest in a compression tester to be downright sure.
Or just borrow one from someone.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
mortimer
Getting Wild

Ok. I borrowed a tester from my father in law. Just tested compression last night and am at 120. ??? I guess I should pull my driven clutch and check it. As the drive clutch was new when the engine was rebuilt. It looks to be running fine in service mode but under load may be a different story. I have the time this weekend and it has been sitting since the issue started. I don't see an issue of pulling the driven and at least cleaning it and taking a gander at it. I don't know where else to go from here.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I just re-read your original post, and what I'm getting from it is that your cart slows down when you go up a hill, but it's assumed that you still made it up the hill, albeit slowly. This is exactly what my cart does when I go up a decent size hill, but this is normal. The cart almost always crests the hill, but yeah, it slows down while climbing. It's only an 8hp motor. If you want to zoom up hills, maybe you should consider a motor swap.

Yeah I believe 120psi is well within the "good" range for that motor.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
mortimer
Getting Wild

Ok. I know it's winter and right now it's snowing with about 3-4 inches
of accumulation. But I am still having this issue. The cart had plenty of
power before. And with 3 adults on this thing I could accelerate while going
up a hill. Now with just me it won't come close. Tried new belt and adjusting
even a bit tight where a slight tap on the accelerator and she wants to go. Still
doesn't have the power it once had after the fresh rebuild. I have a hitch and
small trailer but know although it will be struggling to try and carry anything
heavy let alone up a hill. But before it was no issue. Could there be an issue
in the rear end? I am clueless at this point. There is a small oil leak in the cover. I can see the dirt stained like its wet on a hot dry day. I turned the rear wheels when jacked up to see if I could hear anything dragging inside but nothing. I have been asking around and researching with no answers. And the repair manual doesn't help unless I knew what the issue was. It did have power and lots of it after the rebuild. And my father in laws cart that is the same year has much more. And his cart has the same engine and has never had an issue.
Confused
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car