lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #1
ottoguy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G16 valve not moving

I recently purchased a 1997 Yamaha G16 gas cart. The engine apparently was flooded with gas in the oil. I've changed the oil, fuel filter, and spark plug. After failed attempts at starting I checked compression and it was 0. I pulled the valve cover and noticed the intake valve is not moving at all. The exhaust valve is working as expected. I removed the rocker arm for the intake valve and I'm able to move the intake valve by hand a small bit. The pushrod however never moves when I rotate the engine. The pushrod isn't bent, but just doesn't move. I've tried repositioning the push rod incase it wasn't seated correctly in the lifter, but it doesn't seem to matter how I put it in it never moves when the motor is turned.

Any suggestions before I remove the engine to tear it down or swap for another one?
ottoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2021, 05:56 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G16 valve not moving

If the info you posted is correct, you either have a flat cam lobe or a damaged/missing tappet/lifter. The cam could be broken too, which I have seen before. I suppose the valve could be stuck, but if it was, you would have bent a pushrod. I think it's time to open it up and inspect. Definitely not a good sign.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
ottoguy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking too. I found a used motor in my area so I went and picked it up last night. Hopefully I can just swap it in, then work on the broken one at a later time.

With a crank case full of gas who knows what got worn out, or how long it was run that way.
ottoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Hope it works out, good luck!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha