lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
lhutter1
Not Yet Wild

Default HD DE-40 Upgrade to PWM Speed Control

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum and my wife and I just got our first golf cart. it's a 1977 Harley DE-40 in somewhat rough shape. Anyway, one of the things I'd like to do to it is a conversion from resistors to PWM speed control. I've only seen schematics for controllers in one direction (no reverse) and they show one leg of the armature is connected directly to one leg of the field and current flows through both. Simple enough... Currently on the DE-40 there is a set of contactors that switch direction (forward/reverse) by reversing the direction of the current flow through the field wiring. My question is, Is it as simple as leaving that wiring and contactor arrangement all in tact for direction control and just putting the PWM controller in place of the resistors for speed? Seems too simple. I'm very knowledgeable with AC motors and drives, but not so much DC stuff...

Thanks in advance!
Lorne
lhutter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
options89
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: HD DE-40 Upgrade to PWM Speed Control

lorne whats your personal email? i have a wiring diagram that may be of use to you
options89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Ale8
Not Yet Wild

I have had the same thoughts as well. lhutter1 were you able to get your cart working again with the PWM?
Ale8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Otten33
Not Yet Wild

I know this post is kind of old but was wondering if any of you were successful in converting this cart to PWM speed control? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Otten33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have had several customers convert older carts like this to modern solid state operation using our CC conversion kit. Basically all you need to fabricate is a way to connect your throttle linkage to our throttle lever. You need to have a place to mount the electronics but, it is a very simple adaptation and has been done on TD, HD, Cushman, and many other older carts. For more info submit pics of your carts battery bay to scottyb@cartsunlimited.net
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
maddtabb
Not Yet Wild

Just had this done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180415_132655.jpg (253.9 KB, 0 views)
maddtabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson