lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
DumbMF
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default HD MGIV Battery and Charger

Hey guys, I started a new thread, cuz my last thread on brakes morphed into full blown battery talk. I have a '79 HD MGIV. My charger is an EZ-GO Total Charge III, with auto shut off.

Jerry, I don't have any documentation or understanding of how the battery setup goes for the HD MGIV. It looks to me like i have two independent sets of 3 batteries, making it a dual 18V. Is that right?

The pics below are the old batteries. I just replaced them with 6 exide gc-110 batteries. I've read the posts on here about new battery break in, and understand the idea. My problem is I"m not sure how to get a full charge.

I took a pic of the old battery setup then installed the new ones and connected everything like before. I then plugged the charger in. (without any jumper, just plugged it in and it started to buzz)

15 hours later the thing was still charging. I unplugged and let sit for a couple hours. Then took a DVM and metered each individual battery.

1 - 6.28
2 - 6.27
3 - 6.27
4 - 6.26
5 - 6.26
6 - 6.26

I don't know the appropriate way to number the batteries, so battery 1 is the driver side with the pos connector, 2 is the one it's jumpered to, 3 is the one that connects to 2 and the neg to the motor. 4 is passenger side with pos connect...5 is the one jumpered to 4, and 6 is the one jumped to 5 and has the neg to the motor.

Also on the charger itself there's a meter that says DC Amperes. As far as i can tell...the thing hasn't moved and is stuck at 0.

Lastly, before my first charge the batteries all read 6.06 or 6.05. And the dates on them are March 2010.

So....am i supposed to jumper all six together to get a good charge? According to the Chart from scottyb, my batteries are at ~84%...do i just keep on keepin on...plug the thing in for another 15 hrs or 3 days or whatever it takes to shut off???
DumbMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
DumbMF
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: HD MGIV Battery and Charger

pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg driver_batteries.JPG (81.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg pasngr_batts.JPG (105.5 KB, 9 views)
DumbMF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, harley davidson
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson