lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
tlhowell
Not Yet Wild

Default g1 connecting rod pin

I can't get the pin out of the crankshaft of my g1. Is it pressed in?
tlhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: g1 connecting rod pin

Look here
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...-250-swap.html
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
tlhowell
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I learned that unless I want to buy a new crank, I'll have to use a press to get it out.
tlhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Wonder what press it takes. Family has a big hand press and when I put gears in a CC trans we had to press all the bearings off and new ones back on. They bought it and it had no oil in the diff, nice. It had a leak with a screw in it. The top bearings and gears were toast. I said might as well put high speed gears in it if we need gears, you know me always thinking ahead lol. So we did and it went 28 gps on the limiter the trans was quiet as could be...all stock cart with a flathead. I didn't think about it, but we would have been in trouble without that press.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You'll need a machine shop to do that as they have to be balanced perfect when they go back together. new crank $160.00 !
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

When I looked into having my crank pulled apart, new bearing and rod installed, pressed back together, and balanced it was over $90 at the only machine shop in town.... So I just went with new, and yes $159.95....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Ouch, but at least you know what you have and its new.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Wonder what press it takes. Family has a big hand press and when I put gears in a CC trans we had to press all the bearings off and new ones back on. .
As an FYI I just pressed a pin in a G1 crank that needed tightening. This was a factory crank that had never been properly pressed from the factory. There was too much side play since the pin had never been pressed flush with the crank half. It took 30 Ton to move it.
daveswaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswaves View Post
As an FYI I just pressed a pin in a G1 crank that needed tightening. This was a factory crank that had never been properly pressed from the factory. There was too much side play since the pin had never been pressed flush with the crank half. It took 30 Ton to move it.
That sounds alittle hard to beleive, a stock crank not pressed in correctly and the car ran for how many years? Could it be it was just worn and the crank pin trust washers are bad? Never cared much about side to side movement when checking the rod play, up and down play will kill ya. Of course any movement out of tollerances will "kill Ya".
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
That sounds alittle hard to beleive, a stock crank not pressed in correctly and the car ran for how many years? Could it be it was just worn and the crank pin trust washers are bad? Never cared much about side to side movement when checking the rod play, up and down play will kill ya. Of course any movement out of tollerances will "kill Ya".
Well, yamaha has a spec for clearance between the rod and the adjacent crank half. The only way you will meet that spec is if the pin is flush or slightly proud. If it is recessed on both ends you are too wide. Either way, the crank now is in tolerance for both up and down and side to side play.
daveswaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha