lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Not Yet Wild

Default g1 more low end

I have a Yamaha g1 that I would like to use for pulling a small trailer it runs great very fast but I would like it to have more low end torque I saw there were some Springs you could buy as well as some kits with additional parts for over 100 dollars not sure what I need for my purposes any help is appreciated
2680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: g1 more low end

What I would recommend is you make sure the clutches are working right first. What clutch is on the engine there are different ones used. The original was alum with the bolt hanging out it is fairly slim. G2/9 ones were also put on them as replacement they have gold cover that sticks out and is rounded. Those have a grease fitting on the edge by cover edge, 2 pumps max in there. The secondaries the old ones don't have fittings new ones do, they are above the ramps in back of inside sheave. Otherwise clean inside spring there and spray grease it. Should clean both clutches and grease center bushings at least. Some clutches on engine (primary) you can oil the pin and pivots inside.

For mods you can get a cut sheave for most carts it will help a lot for pulling, it pushes the belt up to top for lower gearing. You can cut yours too. A spring for it can also help keep rpm higher but be careful some cut top speed only get the ones recommended on here or from CPP or plowmans I know are good. Also check the motor mounts if the engine can move closer to the trans it will bog on takeoff you will have a hard time pulling no matter what. Some yamaha have a cable by generator to hold it. If you have the original G1 clutch you can take it apart and make a shim from pvc pipe to go behind the spring and give higher engagement rpm. You can also see if there is a HD kevlar belt CPP has them, for a G1. They are wider they work better for pulling and if your clutches are worn inside.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Not Yet Wild

wow! thanks for the info!

i'm not sure about what i have, i'll take a few photos and post them on here for further clarification.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
workbench
Not Yet Wild

I bought a performance kit for my 1983 G-1 from plowmans and it is a torque monster. I used it to pull a 5' x 10' utility trailer converted to a parade float last saturday with No Problem! We are at an elevation of 3,500 ft and with lots of hills.

workbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

workbench
could you please post some pitchers of you clutch set up.
nwarren9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
workbench
Not Yet Wild

My Cart is up at my cabin so I can't take any picts, but it looks like the pict from plowmans website. (I have the Yellow spring) He sent me the "performance set up" Exhaust, Carb Jets, Belt & clutch kit. Well worth it! Just call him... Very Helpful.

workbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by workbench View Post
My Cart is up at my cabin so I can't take any picts, but it looks like the pict from plowmans website. (I have the Yellow spring) He sent me the "performance set up" Exhaust, Carb Jets, Belt & clutch kit. Well worth it! Just call him... Very Helpful.

I have the same setup, great product! And Don knows his carts! Especially the G1 because he is a snowmobile guy and has worked on and raced them for years. Great to talk to, great knowledge, great product. My G1 pulled a Jeep Cherokee up my gravel driveway with a slight incline. It was tough and slow going, but it pulled it.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Not Yet Wild

finally got some pics. first is my clutch as it stands, second is the trailer i will be using to haul tools, firewood, etc....

from the previous posts, looks like the plowman kit is the way to go! if i want to try to put a spacer on the spring before spending the cash, can someone give me some more details about that procedure. thanks!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

That trailer you have shouldn't bog down your stock setup, unless you are really loading it down to max? However, the performance clutch kit will absolutely make a huge difference for you, it'll be like having low gear.

As far as the spacer for the primary clutch? What it will do is "renew" a worn spring so to speak. I had a problem with my clutch engaging during the starting cycle, meaning before the engine even started. The starter motor would spin the engine and the clutch just wanted to engage instantly. So I put a 3/8" spacer in and it solved the problem. Now I can start the engine and even idle it without it taking off.

Go to the hardware store and get some 1 1/2" sched 40 pvc pipe (or it might be 1 1/4"), take the primary spring with you to match it up. The pipe/spacer will be almost the same outer diameter. Cut the pipe 3/8" or 1/2" and cut it as straight as you can. If it looks crooked, cut another one. I actually used my chop/miter saw and turned the blade backwards, it worked great.

Put the spacer on the engine side of the spring and re-install the primary clutch. This will allow the spring to have more tension and allow the engine to spin more before the clutch engages. Some say it will allow the engine to rev higher for more pulling power, but I didn't experience that.

If your spring isn't worn you probably don't need a spacer. If your spring is worn and "over-compressed" then the spacer will help.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Here's my writeup on the secondary clutch kit...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ng-cart-4.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha