lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
aggierichie
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ GO Battery question. Are they the problem

Good Morning,

I am sorry this is so long but I have a limited knowledge of Carts and I want to be sure I am as descriptive as possible I bought a 2001 EZGO (has a front and rear light kit and rear seat). From the forums I have learned that it is a PDS. I bought it from a friend so may have had too much trust. He told me that the batteries were just too low for the charger to charge them and that I needed to charge them enough to get the charger to click on and then the charger would do the rest. Stickers (not the date cut outs) on the batteries indicate 7/09 which I assume is the age of the batteries and they are "golf cart batteries" which I assume is a cheap off brand.

With MUCH LOVE to this forum, I learned how to manually charge them two batteries at a time (making sure to flip the switch to tow). WHen i got them to 30V DC then the charger kicked on (flipped the switch the other way) and charged them for about 6 hours. The charger cut off and I got in it to test it. Pushed the gas and it rolled forward a bit. The lights went from bright to dim and the cart stopped working. So i put it back on the charger.

The charger charged this time for roughly 12 hours. Once it stopped I decided to try again. The lights were MUCH brighter this time so i thought it might be fixed. Volt meter read 37 VOlts and i thought we were good. I got out of my drive way and the cart slowed, lights dimmed and died, Pushed it back in the garage and put it on the charger.

This morning the charger was done and I tested the volts. 37Volts but when i turned the key on went to 34 or 35 volts. lights were working but were dim. The cart would click when i pushed the pedal but wouldn't move (yes it was in forward). With the seat off I noticed that the battery in the back of the bank closet to the PDS module would sound like it was bubbling when I pushed the gas but would stop when I let off. It would also have a strong odor of battery acid when i pushed the gas. Again, no movement and dim lights.

I am assuming that the batteries are bad and need replacement. I know that the cart will move and run because it has but then it powers down and the lights dim like the batteries are bad. I will see this afternoon if they are holding the charge but my electrical knowledge and cart knowledge are slim to none. Do you all agree that this is the problem or are there other things I should look at/try?
aggierichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO Battery question. Are they the problem

Sounds like you need a set of batteries.

If they were any good at all, 12 hours after the charger shut off automatically, the pack voltage would have been 38.2V.

Here is a SoC (State of Charge) chart. The voltages given are At-Rest voltages.
(At-Rest voltages are taken 12 hours after the charge terminates or half an hour after a discharge terminates)

Also, here is a list of 6V batteries commonly used in 36V battery packs.
You want to get the Highest AH you can afford at the best price you can find locally.
I got my batteries through a tractor supply store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (102.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

aggierichie, at best, your off brand batteries are 4 years old, and probably not taken care of properly. that fact that they only attained 37v after a full charge, and if they were only at 37v right after.....they most likely are too far gone. but before you though in the towel, charge them up again, note, or try to note when the charger turned off, wait 12 hrs, THEN take a reading of the pack voltage. That will give you the info as to how charged they are, as far as SoC (State of Charge) goes.

another question, are you lights connected directly to two of the batteries, or are you running an aux. battery or voltage reducer to supply power to the lights?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

GRRRRRRRRR Ya beat me to it JohnnieB!!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

OH and btw aggierichie......... Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Try measuring the voltages on each battery while under a load. I think you'll find the gassing, smelly one is toast! If all the rest show Ok as per the chart, you could probably get one battery that is used and matches the amp hour rating of what is already in the cart.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
aggierichie
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys! Sir Nuke, I am not sure, it is a factory kit and is wired to the batteries at the first and last battery (making it 36V). I would assume that it is correct but could need a reducer. Thanks for the welcome and words of advice. I only paid $1300 for the cart so I think I assumed there would be something else needed :)
aggierichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierichie View Post
Thanks guys! Sir Nuke, I am not sure, it is a factory kit and is wired to the batteries at the first and last battery (making it 36V). I would assume that it is correct but could need a reducer. Thanks for the welcome and words of advice. I only paid $1300 for the cart so I think I assumed there would be something else needed :)
Richie, seeing as they are wired to the entire pack, it was done the right way, whether it was factory done or aftermarket. There is a voltage reducer somewhere, most likely behind the dash or under the seat, as your lights are only 12v.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Richie, seeing as they are wired to the entire pack, it was done the right way, whether it was factory done or aftermarket. There is a voltage reducer somewhere, most likely behind the dash or under the seat, as your lights are only 12v.
There are 36V bulbs, and some wiring tricks, but I would go on a witch hunt for the voltage reducer just to be sure.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
There are 36V bulbs, and some wiring tricks, but I would go on a witch hunt for the voltage reducer just to be sure.
true.....didn't think about that.....but seeing as he said it was wired from the factory, I bet it has a reducer/converter

Tags
batteries, not moving, problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO