lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
imaeyeguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Upgraded to 48v, charging dilemna

Thanks to all for the replies.

Sounds like 48V charger may be in my future for ease of use as well as peace of mind. I am curious though if anyone has done some testing to see if a marine deep cycle charger (not automotive) like those used in bass boats that are designed to maintain trolling motor batteries would perform just as well on a 2x6v high amp hour battery system. The reason I'm interested is because I have one sitting in the garage and it would be a path of least resistance just to hook it up and run with it. I know that these onboard chargers are designed to maintain those batteries over extended times between uses as well as prevent sulfation. Since most boaters are as protective of their gear as the buggie world, they seem to be content as long as the charger is a good one.

I think I will conduct some tests to determine if it's feasible. I use my cart almost daily and will run some tests for a month of two to see if there are differences. Would measuring only voltage be sufficient or some other more precise measurement be recommended? If all batteries are measuring the same voltage over time, would that imply that they are all properly charged?
imaeyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

DPI does that for you as well...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaeyeguy View Post

Sounds like 48V charger may be in my future
The reason I'm interested is because I have one sitting in the garage and it would be a path of least resistance .
Especially with the holiday expensive's right now , i hear ya
JonnieB / Scottyb /Anyone ?...so if he needs to use the two charger method long term or just for now , is it a good idea to switch the two on the marine charger around to different two batteries, once a month / once a week / every charge cycle , or the benefit would not even be worth it ?

also asking for my own knowledge . (keeping a balanced pack)
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I ran the two charger routine for over a year when I converted my cart to 48v without any issues. As soon as I spotted a used 48v charger in the for sale section of the forum I grabbed it. Sold my old 36v charger for close to what I paid for the used 48v unit. The 12v charger I used was capable of 10 amp output, which worked well. I don’t know the capability of the OP’s 12v Charger so I cant comment on its suitability for the task.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaeyeguy View Post

Sounds like 48V charger may be in my future for ease of use as well as peace of mind. I am curious though if anyone has done some testing to see if a marine deep cycle charger (not automotive) like those used in bass boats that are designed to maintain trolling motor batteries would perform just as well on a 2x6v high amp hour battery system. The reason I'm interested is because I have one sitting in the garage and it would be a path of least resistance just to hook it up and run with it. I know that these onboard chargers are designed to maintain those batteries over extended times between uses as well as prevent sulfation. Since most boaters are as protective of their gear as the buggie world, they seem to be content as long as the charger is a good one.

I think I will conduct some tests to determine if it's feasible. I use my cart almost daily and will run some tests for a month of two to see if there are differences. Would measuring only voltage be sufficient or some other more precise measurement be recommended? If all batteries are measuring the same voltage over time, would that imply that they are all properly charged?
Monitoring the SG (Specific Gravity) of the electrolyte in the cells would be better, but At-Rest voltage closely tracks SG and is much easier to measure.

At-Rest means the batteries have been resting (no charge or discharge) for ate least 12 hours. If the marine charger has a float or trickle charge after the regular cycle ends, it will have to be disconnected at about the same time the 36V charger shuts off.

What are the Make & Model of the 36V and the 12V chargers?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZHO View Post
Especially with the holiday expensive's right now , i hear ya
JonnieB / Scottyb /Anyone ?...so if he needs to use the two charger method long term or just for now , is it a good idea to switch the two on the marine charger around to different two batteries, once a month / once a week / every charge cycle , or the benefit would not even be worth it ?

also asking for my own knowledge . (keeping a balanced pack)
The trick is to keep all the batteries at the same SoC. If the two being charged with the marine charger are not being charged to the same level as the other six, swapping them with two from the ones being charged by the 36V charger would probably be a bad idea.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #17
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

So if I understand this correctly, wouldn't you have to disconnect the battery cables and reconnect them to a 36v configuration to charge 6 of them with the 36v charger then when they are charged and the other two are charged in series with a 12v charger reconnect the cables to 48v for cart operation? Seems like a pain in the a.. to me! Sell the 36v charger and get a DPI!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #18
imaeyeguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Monitoring the SG (Specific Gravity) of the electrolyte in the cells would be better, but At-Rest voltage closely tracks SG and is much easier to measure.

At-Rest means the batteries have been resting (no charge or discharge) for ate least 12 hours. If the marine charger has a float or trickle charge after the regular cycle ends, it will have to be disconnected at about the same time the 36V charger shuts off.

What are the Make & Model of the 36V and the 12V chargers?
The 36V Charger is power wise model G4. The 12V charger is a ProMariner ProSport 12, 12 AMP Dual bank marine battery charger.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #19
imaeyeguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
So if I understand this correctly, wouldn't you have to disconnect the battery cables and reconnect them to a 36v configuration to charge 6 of them with the 36v charger then when they are charged and the other two are charged in series with a 12v charger reconnect the cables to 48v for cart operation? Seems like a pain in the a.. to me! Sell the 36v charger and get a DPI!
No, not that complicated. The 8 batteries are connected in series to create the 48 volts. The 36V Charger is connected to Positive end of battery 1 and at the negative end of the 6th battery. The 12V Charger is connected to the Positive end of battery 7 and negative end of battery 8. Once set up, there is no further need to disconnect or reconnect.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I wouldn't even consider putting my $$$.$$ pack at risk any longer than necessary. For a few weeks 'till I get a proper 48v charger, sure. As a "long term plan", absolutely not.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO