lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #21
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2007 electric ezgo motor smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Most likely the motor is damaged - find another used stock motor to go with the stock controller and cart.
So he allready has a motor (that maybe damaged) and a 350 amp controller. He knows he has a loose connection. Your advice is buy another motor and controller without trying what he has fixing the connection problem. Really?

How about he check all connections and give it a try? He can always take your advice later.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

At a minimum, that motor needs to be disassembled and looked at! Smoking is cooked insulation and that is not good. The heat damage will be obvious upon disassembly.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #23
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
So he allready has a motor (that maybe damaged) and a 350 amp controller. He knows he has a loose connection. Your advice is buy another motor and controller without trying what he has fixing the connection problem. Really?

How about he check all connections and give it a try? He can always take your advice later.
Really? WTF?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #24
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
At a minimum, that motor needs to be disassembled and looked at! Smoking is cooked insulation and that is not good. The heat damage will be obvious upon disassembly.
I had a loose connection on my old Marithon and smoked. I just looked under the seat and I could see and smell smoke coming from the motor. I believe it actually melted part of the stud. I took the cable off, cleaned everything and reinstalled. The cart is still working two years later.

I don't know how bad the OP's was, but if it still moves, I would be checking it out. Obviously he did and found something. It still maybe junk, but I certainly would try it. Disassembly would be good to. But to buy another motor/controller is a little premature.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #25
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I had a loose connection on my old Marithon and smoked. I just looked under the seat and I could see and smell smoke coming from the motor. I believe it actually melted part of the stud. I took the cable off, cleaned everything and reinstalled. The cart is still working two years later.

I don't know how bad the OP's was, but if it still moves, I would be checking it out. Obviously he did and found something. It still maybe junk, but I certainly would try it. Disassembly would be good to. But to buy another motor/controller is a little premature.
Agree with both of these statements. As I stated early on in the thread I would check the brushes in the motor. I smoked my motor and found a stuck brush. Fixed it and running good now.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #26
STLCAR
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So I tightened the loose connection and put it on a charge overnight. Went to drive it today and it seems to drive better but I did notice a smell from the motor when I parked it. The motor was a little hot but not like before. I drove it down a steep hill and it beeped once at me. Any clue why. I am new to this and wanted to see if there was a tech article on motor disassembly or ways to check the brushes
STLCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #27
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need a press.

Remove motor. Remove 2 bolts on back/bottom of motor. Pull bottom half of motor off. Remove cap on bottom of motor. push brushes back and hold them back with the spring by pushing the brush beyond the spring. Press out comm and armature. Inspect comm and sand brushes if needed. Assemble in reverse.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #28
STLCAR
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Pulled the motor today and this is what it looks like. Thoughts

STLCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #29
Helirich
Gone Wild

I would wash that out with some "lectra-clean". I can't see the area where the brushes rub. Is it all grooved up? You might be able to just clean it up with emery cloth.

The brushes that I can see appear to be in good shape.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #30
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hard to tell with all the grime. I cleaned my coils by removing them and washing them with Mean Green and hot water, obviously being careful with them. Let them dry good. I cleaned everything on that half the motor like that.

Be especially delicate with the plastic insulators inside the coils. I broke one or two and had to break out the duct tape.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO