lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #61
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: rxv problems, side question: are they the worst cart ever made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
I personally have 3 farms using these carts DAILY pulling everything from **** spreaders to Horse trailers (with horses in them) and have never had a problem yet. One of them is a training facility for sulkie race horses and they tell me all the time what a great cart it has been for them. 4 years of operation and the only thing they have had to service is the batteries (In fact, they are due for their 1st change of batteries next week).

Bob, I have been off the site for a while because of technical issues. Sorry to hear that you had an accident on your cart. I hope that you will heal quickly. I have very much appreciated your insights in the technical aspects of these carts and am sorry to hear that you may be abandoning them.

That being said, isn't everything going to a drive by wire setup nowadays? I remember a year or so ago all the reports of Toyota's having major recall issues with their cars having throttle issues (including cars that went into full throttle by themselves). Maybe E-Z-GO needs to make some changes that will compensate for this? Honestly, I haven't heard any widespread issues with them going into runaway though.

On a side note for you Bob..... would it be possible to take a new unused controller from Curtis (say a 600 AMP) and clone the software/programming from a stock RXV controller to it?
I'm not giving up on AC drive or the RXV design itself. What I am giving up on is PIC controlled speed controllers that have more limited codespace. The lower end Curtis controllers use a lower powered PIC and the higher end Curtis controllers tend to use microcontroller chips with more power. Golf carts tend to use the PIC to cut cost.

What you asked can be done, but if you were to just clone an OS over, if it were code compatible, you would be limiting the capabilities of a more powerful processor. I would stick with a controller with a full OS and full VCL instead of a streamlined OEM oriented controller. I really do like the RXV, I'm just more concerned about safety now than I was before.

I had a Toyota that suffered a full throttle runaway. I was on a freeway and I had plenty of time and space to shut it down safely. When the RXV went WOT on me, it was at a very bad time where I had a very small safe corridor and the uncontrolled spinning rear tires on gravel left me with even less control. I chose the path of least destruction, and that had a great risk of hitting smaller trees. But had it continued in the direction it was heading towards, I would have rolled the cart over on a slope that was nearly 90 degrees and rocky, 15 feet to the bottom. I would have ended up under the cart and it would likely have been fatal. I still feel that I chose correctly in the limited time that I had to react.

My surgery yesterday was a success. The internal bleeding was stopped and the fractured rib was stabilized. I'm already in a lot less pain, even with the fresh surgical incisions. The initial hospital ER examination had missed that internal injury and fractured rib. That's the difference between chest X-Rays and a chest CT scan. I was going to head out for central NC earlier today. I'll take a nap and drive tonight instead. I tried locating a parts cart in my area and no golf courses use RXVs here. I'll have to travel to the area that my RXV came from.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #62
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Get well soon -
PS
I'm sold. No RXV for me.
I got plenty of Alltrax powered DC carts
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #63
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I had a Toyota that suffered a full throttle runaway. I was on a freeway and I had plenty of time and space to shut it down safely. When the RXV went WOT on me, it was at a very bad time.....
Bob
Darn! A Toyota and an EZ-GO runaway....That's some bad luck. I'm going to advise you against flying lessons or skydiving!

Get better soon!
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #64
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
Darn! A Toyota and an EZ-GO runaway.... That's some bad luck. I'm going to advise you against flying lessons or skydiving!

Get better soon!
Thank you. I figure 275K miles on the Toyota before it went runaway was pretty good. It was an earlier generation drive by wire with only 2 throttle pots, the triple pot ones were worst for that problem.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #65
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bob, I don't want you take any offense to this cuz its just a question as I have an RXV.

You had sweaked some of the electronics and controller. Do you think that was a contributing factor?
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:48 AM   #66
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Huh, weird, my old '77 Chevy never once ran away. Must be that high quality 87 octane I feed it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #67
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Bob, I need mention your throttle problem to my EZGO guys just so they are aware of it. I know they are working on a 72 volt AC cart and I can't imagine what it would do in a runaway situation.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #68
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltintexas View Post
Bob, I don't want you take any offense to this cuz its just a question as I have an RXV.

You had sweaked some of the electronics and controller. Do you think that was a contributing factor?
I had the same thought, until I downloaded the controller logs and analyzed the failure mode in detail. I found an invalid throttle encoder value entry, which means the value the controller was given was outside of the normal range of input to the controller, then a lockup of the AC drive routine that totally ignored all other inputs to the controller. There were 20 sequential controller overcurrent errors. To overcurrent a 350 amp controller on an RXV with stock tires is normaly not possible. With all of my efforts at increasing performance, I was never able to exceed 250 amps, or make the tires spin like it did during the runaway. I'm sure that the factory motor RPM limit code was even ignored during the runaway.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #69
drrogers
Not Yet Wild

I too have a EZ Go RXV and I am also having problems with its charger. Spending $350 on a new charger may be worth it but I dont know yet. I think I might have to look for some guides on the Internet.
Update: I think I will try some tips from this EZ GO troubleshooting guide.
drrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #70
Edamos
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am a small population of 1, but I have a 2018 RXV Lithium and so far zero problems. It really has been trouble free. The only issues I have had I self inflicted.
Edamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO