lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgraded to 48v, charging dilemna

[QUOTE=cgtech;1458673]I wouldn't even consider putting my $$$.$$ pack at risk any longer than necessary. For a few weeks 'till I get a proper 48v charger, sure. As a "long term plan", absolutely not.[/QUI

I hear ya, man
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaeyeguy View Post
The 36V Charger is power wise model G4. The 12V charger is a ProMariner ProSport 12, 12 AMP Dual bank marine battery charger.
PW = Old technology and ProMariner = New technology.

I don't think I'd use that combination very long.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #23
imaeyeguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
PW = Old technology and ProMariner = New technology.

I don't think I'd use that combination very long.
The Power wise is likely 15 years or older. So you're saying the 12V charger that uses 5 stage cycle would keep the batteries in better shape than the 36V charger.
imaeyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaeyeguy View Post
The Power wise is likely 15 years or older. So you're saying the 12V charger that uses 5 stage cycle would keep the batteries in better shape than the 36V charger.
Technically, a lead-Acid battery isn't fully charged until the SG of the electrolyte ceases to increase while a charging current is passing through it. The battery voltage tracks the SG, so it also ceases to increase when the battery is fully charged.

Modern chargers use dT/dV (change in Time over change in Voltage) or equivalent technologies to determine when battery is fully charged and the on-charge voltage reached varies with different batteries and age of battery.

The legacy chargers with a ferroresonant transformer and a control board (which is simply a semi-smart on/off switch) shut off at a predetermined voltage that is high enough to almost fully charge new batteries, yet low enough not to seriously overcharge old batteries.

The PW 28115 (G4 is the revision level) shuts off when the voltage reaches 45V +/- 1V, so the batteries it charges are not fully charged. Close to being fully charged perhaps, but not to the point where the voltage ceases to increase, which indicates full charge.

Yes, I am pretty sure the more modern marine charger would charge the two batteries it would be charging to a higher level than the PW-28115. How much higher, I don't know.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #25
imaeyeguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Technically, a lead-Acid battery isn't fully charged until the SG of the electrolyte ceases to increase while a charging current is passing through it. The battery voltage tracks the SG, so it also ceases to increase when the battery is fully charged.

Modern chargers use dT/dV (change in Time over change in Voltage) or equivalent technologies to determine when battery is fully charged and the on-charge voltage reached varies with different batteries and age of battery.

The legacy chargers with a ferroresonant transformer and a control board (which is simply a semi-smart on/off switch) shut off at a predetermined voltage that is high enough to almost fully charge new batteries, yet low enough not to seriously overcharge old batteries.

The PW 28115 (G4 is the revision level) shuts off when the voltage reaches 45V +/- 1V, so the batteries it charges are not fully charged. Close to being fully charged perhaps, but not to the point where the voltage ceases to increase, which indicates full charge.

Yes, I am pretty sure the more modern marine charger would charge the two batteries it would be charging to a higher level than the PW-28115. How much higher, I don't know.
Thank you. I think I will do a voltage test after a short run to check on the status of each battery. I was thinking that the 12V charger would be the problem, but it would appear that the older technology 36V charger may need an upgrade.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #26
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

"it would appear that the older technology 36V charger may need an upgrade"

Another good reason to go for the DPI or Yewy Charger from ScottyB!
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/yewy-1...t-charger.html
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #27
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

bite the bullet and get the DPI charger, i did the 36 &12 v chargers for about a month a total pain in the A$$
I bought my DPI from Scotty a great guy to deal with
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #28
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also keep in mind the minimum amp capacity of the charger to satisfy the battery charging requirements. This is an example from Trojan batteries. A T-105 has a 225ah rating at 20 hour discharge rate. And they want a charge rate of no less than C/20. This means any charge rate lower than 11.25a for the bulk phase is unsuitable. A big reason is the battery needs to circulate the electrolyte to prevent stratification of electrolyte, and a lower rate won't achieve this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf (1.68 MB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #29
imaeyeguy
Not Yet Wild

Ran first test. After charging all the batteries and letting them sit overnight, I took the cart for a quick 1 mile ride. Here are the voltages afterwards starting with the battery connected to Plus (+) terminal first:

1. 6.44V —— 1st 36V group
2. 6.45V
3. 6.45V
4. 6.45V
5. 6.44V
6. 6.44V —— Last 36V group
7. 6.45V —— First 12V group
8. 6.44V —— 2nd 12V group

Total Pack voltage 51.7V

Should be noted that #5 and #6 are connected as 12V by manufacturer to run lights and turn signals.

Did I give enough stabilization time? Voltages seem high since I’ve been reading that 6.37V was 100% charged.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #30
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i am guessing your batteries are DECA/EAST PENN mfg....those #`s are high and my DECA`s run 1.0v higher(39.4v) than the average reported battery pack on here...several other guys on here report the same thing(36v packs)...

those #`s look good to me(not an expert-lol)and i will see how this thread continues to go...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO