lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Transmission Fault on 1998 EZGO Gas TXT

Started with stiff gear shift & problems getting into Reverse coupled with noisy rattle from transmission especially when coasting. Changed shift cables & adjusted but still odd problem getting into Reverse especially is cart is facing up/down a slope. Checked transmission oil was OK & didn't require topping up. Yesterday on course Murphy's Law prevaled & suddenly lost all drive as I started up the hole aptly called Coronary Hill
Put it in R & it went only a few feet before the same symptom no drive in either F or R to wheels. Gear change seems sloppy compared to before.

I have read several threads here about stripped hubs & will check that before doing anything else but seems as there's no noise coming from transmission box at all I am suspecting something has failed perhaps in the first drive shaft area from the driven clutch into the gears?

Any/all inputs/suggestions gratefully received

Thanks Russ
Macanudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Transmission Fault on 1998 EZGO Gas TXT

Well it was not the hub splines so now removed complete rear axle & transmission to investigate further....time to remove axles & split the tranmission/gear box to see what gives inside!
Old 06-07-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I think it's normal to be hard to shift when on a grade with a load on the gears... good luck.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks StoveBolt...understand that gear change with pressure on gears due to slope maybe not so smooth but this was basically refusing to go into R at all & having to rock or push buggy in gear to release pressure. Taken a break but will review again later today & revisit hub splines for inspection as well as tranmission/gear box strip. thanks again
Old 06-08-2018, 03:13 AM   #5
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post
Well it was not the hub splines so now removed complete rear axle & transmission to investigate further....time to remove axles & split the tranmission/gear box to see what gives inside!
There is no need to remove the axles to split the tranny. Put the axle on the driver side end, wheel/tire attached with passenger side in the air. When you split it all the gears will remain in the side case with the driven pulley. I just did that to change the gear ratio and it worked awesome.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all inputs.
Put buggy on its side & removed whole rear axle & suspension as a complete unit for full investigation.
Discovered had made a wrong diagnosis of the hub splines on the passenger side where splines had gone. (this is mentioned in several threads in here) & I should have been more careful in that diagnosis.
I could not source new axle replacement quickly so ad interim have welded the axle, drum/hub & nut together using 29/9 high strength welding rods... this has worked well for time being & working great.
( barring brake problems inside that drum! will have to replace both axle & brake drum eventually )
Found no problems in transmission but still puzzled why its sometime very hard or impossible to get into R.... have readjusted the new changeover cables but still have difficulty.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Too bad, a stripped hub is an easy diagnose, if the nut spins but the wheel don't it's a stripped hub.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost drive, suspect transmission
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO