lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
adog35
Getting Wild

Default 98 EZ-GO Wandering at Speed & Rear Axle rotation

98 EZ-GO series
I recently did a full 48V upgrade on the cart
and thanks to ScottyB and all of the forums members it's going
strong. I am however, running into a few issues.

- Front end wandering
The cart drives well at 18-20 MPH, There is a normal amount of
play in the wheel when compared to other carts I have driven, the cart tracks straight with no input from the driver, however once I start to reach the top speed of 28 MPH it's all over the place and the front starts to wander.

What can I do to correct this? Tire pressure is set a 22 PSI. The alignment looks straight to me, but I'm just eye balling it.

-Rear Axle Rotation
I recently heard an odd sound from the rear axle. I visually inspected the rear axle and during acceleration I can see the axle physically rotate on it's own axis. It appears to be loose.

Would I tighten the u-bolts?
adog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 EZ-GO Wandering at Speed & Rear Axle rotation

I can speak to the steering issue. As you can see in my sig, I'm about the same as you, although you probably have a more modern controller. I also had the same issue of excess slop in the steering. I tried replacing the rack and pinion, which improved things, but there are several bushings that don't seem to be user servicable, at least as far as finding replacements. I finaly ended up getting a new steering box, and it's about as good as it can get. Check your tie rods and the castle nut bushing. Have someone move the steering wheel from side ot side, and see where you have excess slop. You can also have them hold the wheel, and you can try moving the axle from side to side.

You can eliminate most of the problem, but I've found that once you get used ot it, it's not too bad. Be careful of letting others drive it. I let a neighbor drive mine, and at around 30 mph, we went into a death wobble, and nearly went head-on into a car. What I've found - at least in mine - is that if it drifts to one side, it's easy to slightly overcompensate, which rapidly deteriorates into the death wobble. To make matters worse, when you go from one side to the other, the cart and you lean, which unfortunately, makes exacerbates the problem.

And it gets even worse when you have two adults in the back.

They sell steering stabilizers, which I think would help with mine, but I have learned to live with it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
adog35
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I can speak to the steering issue. As you can see in my sig, I'm about the same as you, although you probably have a more modern controller. I also had the same issue of excess slop in the steering. I tried replacing the rack and pinion, which improved things, but there are several bushings that don't seem to be user servicable, at least as far as finding replacements. I finaly ended up getting a new steering box, and it's about as good as it can get. Check your tie rods and the castle nut bushing. Have someone move the steering wheel from side ot side, and see where you have excess slop. You can also have them hold the wheel, and you can try moving the axle from side to side.

You can eliminate most of the problem, but I've found that once you get used ot it, it's not too bad. Be careful of letting others drive it. I let a neighbor drive mine, and at around 30 mph, we went into a death wobble, and nearly went head-on into a car. What I've found - at least in mine - is that if it drifts to one side, it's easy to slightly overcompensate, which rapidly deteriorates into the death wobble. To make matters worse, when you go from one side to the other, the cart and you lean, which unfortunately, makes exacerbates the problem.

And it gets even worse when you have two adults in the back.

They sell steering stabilizers, which I think would help with mine, but I have learned to live with it.

The wheel does not have a lot of slop and the cart does not death wobble by any means. I do have a "guest mode" switch that limits the cart to 17 MPH.

The biggest issues appears to be tracking a higher speeds, it's easily disturbed by any bump in the road. I would call it unpredictable.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
adog35
Getting Wild

Bump on the axel rotation and noise.

It made a grinding sound during a fast acceleration yesterday
Old 06-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The biggest issue with any vehicle that wanders is toe!

The front wheels need 1/8 -1/4 inch toe in to not wander. that is measured at the front of the front tires.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
adog35
Getting Wild

I will adjust the toe this weekend and see if that helps. I was unable to break one of the tie rod bolts loose. Pasenger side removed without issues but the driver is being stubborn.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
adog35
Getting Wild

Bumping this thread for additional input.
I have adjusted to toe, checked for excessive bushing wear and slop, set tire pressure, but the cart still seems to wander at high speeds.

Is it just exceeding limits of the cart with the lift on it? Would a long travel kit up front help?
Old 02-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just make sure that you check the toe-in after adjusting it. Move the cart back and forth 10-20 feet, then check it again. Make further adjustments if needed.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think you are near the mechanical limits of a vehicle designed for 16mph.

My cart (2011 TXT with 6" lift) rides quite well until 30mph, then it wanders a lot. You have the same thing at 28mph, could just be one of our GPS' reads less accurate and we are really at the same speeds.

As for the rear diff, have you checked where the axle is mounted to the springs? Are the U-Bolts tight? Is there a crack in any of the leafs on the rear springs? Can you spot anything worn or loose? Do the rear springs have a nice steady curve or do they flatten out completely or even invert near the axle? If they flatten out completely or invert then your springs may be in need of replacement.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
adog35
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I think you are near the mechanical limits of a vehicle designed for 16mph.

My cart (2011 TXT with 6" lift) rides quite well until 30mph, then it wanders a lot. You have the same thing at 28mph, could just be one of our GPS' reads less accurate and we are really at the same speeds.

As for the rear diff, have you checked where the axle is mounted to the springs? Are the U-Bolts tight? Is there a crack in any of the leafs on the rear springs? Can you spot anything worn or loose? Do the rear springs have a nice steady curve or do they flatten out completely or even invert near the axle? If they flatten out completely or invert then your springs may be in need of replacement.

I found the issue with the rear diff. Axle nut was loose causing it to slip a little. Still no luck with the front end wandering. Any other idea to help the tracking?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO