lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #1
jeff vaccaro
Not Yet Wild

Default Keep blowing the precharged resistor

Hello
I have a dcs ezgo 36v cart. I keep blowing and frying the resistor pack attached to the solenoid. The battery side of the solenoid keeps getting extreamy hot. By that I mean I actually caused a burn on my hand when I found it. I’m not sure where to go next? I replaced the solenoid with a heavy duty one thinking that with the upgraded controller I was putting too much amps through it. But that didn’t change. I ended up blowing another resistor pack by doing that also. It doesn’t blow right away just after driving around for a few minutes does it get hot and then start to melt the jacket around the smaller low amp lines attached to the batter side of the solenoid. Everything seems to check out but not sure why it gets that hot and then blows the resistor pack. Any help would be great thanks
jeff vaccaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Keep blowing the prechargee resistor

Check to make sure that the solenoid is actually closing when it is supposed to be on. It's acting like there is not a good contact closure to fully bypass the resistor. The resistor is only supposed to keep the capacitors in the controller charged, not carry current for the controller.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
jeff vaccaro
Not Yet Wild

So what would be the best way to test that? Could I remove the resistor and then check for continuity through the posts when the pedal is depressed?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
biphase
Gone Wild

Is the cart operating normally other than the resistor overheating? Does the resistor get hot only while driving? Is the cable between the battery (+) and the solenoid getting hot? You may have a bad (high resistance) crimp on the end that connects to the solenoid. That would make everything that connects to that point get hot as well. Also, are there any loads connected to the output side of the solenoid besides the cable to the controller and the cable to the A2 terminal of the motor?
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Make sure the terminals are clean and snug. Are you sure you have the resistor installed to the right posts?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
jeff vaccaro
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Keep blowing the precharged resistor

Yes so I have the resistor orientating correctly. I removed the solenoid and fully tested that. I’ve also tested voltage on pin 9,10 and 6 they are all 38v. If I jump the main solenoid lugs, the ones the resistor attaches to. I can get everything to work. But I know the solenoid is working and I checked continuity with it in. When pressing the pedal I get continuity from it. However the voltage on the negative side goes from 38 volts to nothing with the probes on battery - and controller motor side of solenoid. When I press the pedal, it goes to nothing. But while the pedal is pressed I can move the probe from battery - to battery + and I get 38v. But like I said. When I jump the solenoid with a small wire with alegator clamps everything works.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I know some will disagree.

Take the resistor off and see if the solenoid gets got. I think it is bad.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
jeff vaccaro
Not Yet Wild

I’ll try anything at this point. I’ll try that either tonight or tomorrow and get back. And the resistor pack is brand new. Just picked it up today
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I know some will disagree.

Take the resistor off and see if the solenoid gets got. I think it is bad.
I agree. That would be a good test. Take one end loose, the end that is not getting hot.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I agree. That would be a good test. Take one end loose, the end that is not getting hot.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO