lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage Meter

There is a chart floating around that will show you the voltages and % charge of your battery pack.

OK, I couldn't resist.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...rge-chart.html

Print it out and keep it one in the garage and one with your cart.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Voltage meters are fun to look at, but I wouldn't trust them for true SoC info if my life depended on it. By the time they read halfway your pack is already too low for the controller to be reliable, and if it gets down to where it is flashing 'charge dead!' at you most of the time they never reset to full after you charge them.
A digital voltmeter is accurate all of the time. You are obviously talking about the very inaccurate red bar SOC meter, with that I agree.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the Curtis bar meter that came with the controller and a Blue Sea volt/amp meter. The bar meter has been VERY close compared to the digital. It allows a estimate of juice left while driving which you can't do with the digital. The only time it won't work is when I tow the cart as it resets when you turn the tow switch back on.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 PM   #14
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I was under the impression it was a bar meter y'all were referring to. That's how my mind took when I read 'LED meter'

Around here there are two meters available, the analog 'fuel gauge' type and the bar type LED style. Never saw an actual digital one unless someone attempted to rig up some clock radio display to read volts (and always fried his controller doing so)
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
Sideways
Gone Wild

I have this one from Scottyb wired directly to pack so it stays on 24/7. No problems whatsoever.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019e833096b34cbd8c3658866ad10f8d.jpg (143.8 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 AM   #16
swm63
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Never saw an actual digital one unless someone attempted to rig up some clock radio display to read volts (and always fried his controller doing so)
Nick, it looks like you need to get out more.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, folks here are quite crude and progress is little to none so I know I'm missing out a lot.

But yeah, the last two fried controllers were due to some moron attempting to use a digital display similar to that and hardwired into the key switch (failing to put car in tow first of course)

Last phone call went a little like this:

Me: Tony's carts how may I help you?
Cus: Yeah I tried hooking up a multimeter display to read batteries and now it won't go
Me: Did you put the cart in tow before working on it?
Cus: Wha?
Me: *Headdesk*
Old 07-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #18
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

According to those in the know around here, wiring a DVM to the key switch on an RXV will blow the controller whether it is in tow or not.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Which is why I remove/bypass the thing when we finally get it repaired. We suggest doing without the gauge as in our experience you simply can't trust them, or trust folks to be intelligent enough to know how low a voltage reading is too low. Digi ones always dip to scary range (43 volts) when you go uphill or put any load on the car, so it's hard to know whether you look at them when car is sitting or when you drive it.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
hunt2709
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggieman18 View Post
According to those in the know around here, wiring a DVM to the key switch on an RXV will blow the controller whether it is in tow or not.
Well, I just ordered the same VM that is noted on this page and it was delivered this afternoon. I have a 2013 RXV that I will install on. I had planned on a direct connect to battery with no key switch involved. Am I good to go with that and it will be on 24x7? And what guage wire is best, I have 18 guage in the shop but if I need something else, advise.
hunt2709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36 volts, ezgo txt pds 2002, voltage meter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO