lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #31
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: Batteries?! Trojan Vs. Crown Vs. US Batteries.

Thanks for all the info in this thread; I'm needing a set of batteries for a 36 volt PDS cart that stays at our farm. I know that you get what you pay for, and the cart that I use almost daily is set up at 42 volts with 7 of the Trojan T-105 batteries. I occasionally need range in that cart, so I wanted the best pack I could get for it.

But the 36 volt cart is a different situation. We only have 700 acres of land available, it is less than 2 miles from one corner to the other. It usually doesn't travel more than 2 miles in a day, and it's never gone more than 4. I'm thinking I could get by ok with a set of batteries made by a good company, but with less capacity than what I need in the other cart.

I can buy a set of Crown 205s for $540. A set of T-105 is $750. I realize the Crowns will not take me as far on a charge, but I'm thinking it's a moot point in this situation. Am I wrong in thinking that I can save $210 here and be just as well off? I've never bought a set of Crowns before, so I have no experience with them at all. I have been consistently getting 7 years out of Trojans. Thanks
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #32
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Thanks for all the info in this thread; I'm needing a set of batteries for a 36 volt PDS cart that stays at our farm. I know that you get what you pay for, and the cart that I use almost daily is set up at 42 volts with 7 of the Trojan T-105 batteries. I occasionally need range in that cart, so I wanted the best pack I could get for it.

But the 36 volt cart is a different situation. We only have 700 acres of land available, it is less than 2 miles from one corner to the other. It usually doesn't travel more than 2 miles in a day, and it's never gone more than 4. I'm thinking I could get by ok with a set of batteries made by a good company, but with less capacity than what I need in the other cart.

I can buy a set of Crown 205s for $540. A set of T-105 is $750. I realize the Crowns will not take me as far on a charge, but I'm thinking it's a moot point in this situation. Am I wrong in thinking that I can save $210 here and be just as well off? I've never bought a set of Crowns before, so I have no experience with them at all. I have been consistently getting 7 years out of Trojans. Thanks
Due to the AH difference, if you maintained an average of 70% SoC with a set of T-105 batteries, you'd average 67.1% SoC with the CR-205 batteries, so the T-105 set would have a projected lifespan of 64 months while the Cr-205 set would have approximately 59.1 months.
T-105 -- $750 / 64 = $11.72 per month
Cr-205 - $540 / 59.1 = $9.14 per month.

The Crown batteries will save you roughly $2.58 per month, but will have to be replaced about 5 months sooner.

Note: I used the Trojan Average SoC vs charge cycle chart for both since I haven't made one for Crown, but they both are pretty close in the 60% to 70% range. See attached graph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avg SoC vs Charge Cycles.jpg (127.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #33
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post

I don't know about all over the country, but around my area most cart dealers carry Crowns, some exclusively, some also carry Trojan, but in general they all say there is very little difference, some say Trojan quality isn't what it used to be ?
transfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #34
coosa
Gone Wild

Thanks guys, and thanks for the calculations, JohnnieB. It sounds like the Crowns would be worth the risk. And there are a couple of inputs you didn't consider. One is that I can probably average about 90% SOC; just don't have to go very far per day on a small tract. And the other is that at my age there is no guarantee that I will even be alive in 59 months, much less still using an off road cart. :)

I think I will buy the Crowns.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #35
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
My Nov-2012 Exide batteries were purchased from Rural King and are still going strong.
Of course, they have been connected to a DPI charger set to the Exide charge profile with float charging whenever the cart is not being driven ever since they were installed.

------
US Battery brand batteries require a higher finish voltage than some of the legacy chargers reach. The old ferroresonant transformer type charger shut of someplace in the 44V to 46V range while USB batteries need 45.0V to 46.8V, or dV/dT.
It the legacy charger shuts off at less than 45V, the USB batteries will be chronically under charged and age quickly.
johnnie b, how would you know if your charger isnt shutting off before the US batteries are fully charged? if you meter them 12 hours after the are charged and your number are correct would that tell you?
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 AM   #36
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfixer View Post
some say Trojan quality isn't what it used to be ?
If you get the "normal versions" like T-105, T-875, or their upgrade level counterparts, your good to go. As far as the "T-1275 class" 12v batteries, none of them are that great, nor ever were, no matter the brand. If you get the "cut rate" lower AH Trojan versions, well, I guess you "saved money", but that's not a trade-off I would make. (For daily range, or life expectancy)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO