lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
SeaFoamRXV
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV speed

I have a standard RXV with 23 inch tires, freedom tune. Simple question. What is the best gear ratio/controller to add more speed and still ride around the neighborhood with a cooler and a passenger? I'm new to the golf cart scene, just want the veterans input. It does 27mph as it sits. I don't pull anything ever. Any input is appreciated.
SeaFoamRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: RXV speed

What year RXV? Silver heat sink behind controller cover or black?

There are no Alltrax or high amp output controllers or fancy speed motors for RXV I am afraid. Most you can do is upgrade a Danahar (silver heat sink, 2008-2011 RXV) controller to a Curtis (black heat sink, 2012-present RXV) controller where you can have more fun if you have high enough access level and/or a laptop programming station.

But 27 MPH? yikes! I thought being able to get from 19.5 to 24 MPH with an OEM Curtis level programmer was an upgrade.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFoamRXV View Post
I have a standard RXV with 23 inch tires, freedom tune. Simple question. What is the best gear ratio/controller to add more speed and still ride around the neighborhood with a cooler and a passenger? I'm new to the golf cart scene, just want the veterans input. It does 27mph as it sits. I don't pull anything ever. Any input is appreciated.
Buy the Curtis 350 Amp upgrade controller, then have it programmed for performance. You can exceed 30 MPH (one I did does about 37 MPH) and still have power. It takes special programming to get a controller to survive 23" tires long term with decent speed and power. Otherwise you end up with a flatlander cart that gets stuck trying to climb a 2" seam in a road to driveway interface without a running start.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
What year RXV? Silver heat sink behind controller cover or black?

There are no Alltrax or high amp output controllers or fancy speed motors for RXV I am afraid. Most you can do is upgrade a Danahar (silver heat sink, 2008-2011 RXV) controller to a Curtis (black heat sink, 2012-present RXV) controller where you can have more fun if you have high enough access level and/or a laptop programming station.

But 27 MPH? yikes! I thought being able to get from 19.5 to 24 MPH with an OEM Curtis level programmer was an upgrade.
His 23" tires is what gives that speed in Freedom Mode. It could go faster if his controller had the current to push it. His controller is struggling to push it to the point that it is going now. It will eventually kill the controller if left like it is.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, there are performance aftermarket controllers from navitas available for Rxv (both varieties), but I don't want it. I prefer the abilities I have with the Curtis.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
SeaFoamRXV
Not Yet Wild

It's a 2015 cart, there are several guys in my neighborhood going 29mph and touching 30 with bigger tires on the same setup. I don't want bigger tires, I just want to go a little faster. So go with the 350? Or are the gears worth it?
Old 09-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
SeaFoamRXV
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
His 23" tires is what gives that speed in Freedom Mode. It could go faster if his controller had the current to push it. His controller is struggling to push it to the point that it is going now. It will eventually kill the controller if left like it is.

So what would you recommend for long term? I do things right the first time regardless of what it costs.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Buy the Curtis 350 Amp upgrade controller, then have it programmed for performance. You can exceed 30 MPH (one I did does about 37 MPH) and still have power. It takes special programming to get a controller to survive 23" tires long term with decent speed and power. Otherwise you end up with a flatlander cart that gets stuck trying to climb a 2" seam in a road to driveway interface without a running start.
Listen to Bob and you won't have any problems. And he'll program it for you.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
SeaFoamRXV
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Listen to Bob and you won't have any problems. And he'll program it for you.
Can I get his info?
Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm sure he'll chime in here.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO