lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2018, 07:01 AM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Trojan T-105 core charge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I must be looking at this from a different angle. Around here people call a "core" charge the difference in price one would pay to buy new batteries with or without the old ones for exchange.

If you take them to a recycling place that is entirely different. You will get paid by weight. You need to check out what the market is in your area. The places that charge you a perhaps $28 "core" charge will not give you $28 for each battery you bring to them, that is what they charge if you do not have batteries for exchange.
Your understanding is correct. If you purchase new batteries with no "trade in", you are charged the core charge. (Or...not given credit for trade in's)

So, since I'm getting rid of my "trade in's" with no intent to buy new LA's, that core charge is my deposit I get back (or should get back) from my initial purchase. I'm not making any money here......just getting back what was mine in the first place. (Like an apartment "security deposit")
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Though it's not a "core", in its normal use, many battery stores will pay you the same thing they'd charge as a core, for returning used batteries. For mine, they offered several price ranges, based on pounds of lead. I don't think they actually weigh them, they just have ranges. I traded in old school bus batteries, after the deal was complete for trading in six cores and buying eight batteries. The school bus cores were a few weeks later.

This is probably limited to lead, which is highly recycled. I doubt you could take a dead car started to an auto parts store and get anything, unless you are buying one.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
This is probably limited to lead, which is highly recycled. I doubt you could take a dead car starter to an auto parts store and get anything, unless you are buying one.
I have not tried, but you might be able to. Anything that requires a core charge is typically due to the fact the returned core is shipped back to the re-manufacturing company, and they are the ones buying them back from the parts houses. If there is enough profit (like in lead acid batteries), the parts house will gladly give you $20 for something they turn around and sell for $30.

Old carburetor that are no longer made, starters, alternators, etc...

The only place you really get hosed it tire recycling fees. You actually pay them to take your tires and then they go and sell them to a company that will grind em down and use it as mulch, or fuel, or road base, or etc....
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:43 AM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Your understanding is correct. If you purchase new batteries with no "trade in", you are charged the core charge. (Or...not given credit for trade in's)

So, since I'm getting rid of my "trade in's" with no intent to buy new LA's, that core charge is my deposit I get back (or should get back) from my initial purchase. I'm not making any money here......just getting back what was mine in the first place. (Like an apartment "security deposit")
So they are allowing you a "core" value for your regular batteries toward the purchase of lithium batteries? Is that correct?

If so, how much are they allowing you toward your purchase of the new ones?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:11 AM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

OK. This is a simple thing that has become confusing. Traditionally, and historically the term "core" as applied to automotive components has been: Starters, alternators, transmissions, engines, etc. Things that can be re -manufactured and have a value. That terminology has been extended to things like batteries that will not be rebuilt as such. However, the term has been applied to exchanges for batteries.

What a seller of the type batteries you want to purchase allows you for them (if anything)is between the two of you. You are not exchanging what you are purchasing.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO