lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 12v batteries

Yes, I am sure its been discussed plenty, but I cant seem to find an answer. I am wondering if there is an inherent problem with running 12v deep cycle batteries instead of 8v or 6v in a 48v cart with an upgraded controller. Will it run properly and charge properly? I know there will be a reduction in run time, but realistically speaking, my cart never sees more than maybe a half hour of pedal time total before it is in a situation where a long recharge is possible. Only use it to get in and out of the deer lease during hunting season and to do a little yard work around the house. Might take it for a spin around the neighborhood but even the. It never sees more than 30 minutes of pedal time. Because of this, I am wondering if these batteries will be sufficient for my new build.

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/duracell-m...lp_product_1_1

New cart needs a new battery tray and thinking of switching to these because of cost. Any problems with my thought process that would cause major headaches down the road?
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12v batteries

the problem is that they are NOT golf cart batteries. they will not charge properly when connected to a golf cart battery charge.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What’s the difference? It says they are for EVs. Doesn’t that include golf carts? I know the AH aren’t the same but why wouldn’t they charge the same ?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhuck View Post
What’s the difference? It says they are for EVs. Doesn’t that include golf carts? I know the AH aren’t the same but why wouldn’t they charge the same ?
Battery manufacturers each have their own minor chemistry differences in the plates/electrolyte, and electrolyte concentrations. This affects the charge profile and per cell voltages slightly. The charger used needs to be set for the correct charge profile in order to ensure a proper charge and battery longevity. Trolling motors technically make a small boat an EV, but those marine/deep cycle batteries are not suited for the high amperage drawn by a golf cart motor, or the depth of discharge...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most folks who have gone and installed "Marine Deep Cycle" batteries are usually here within a year or two asking why their batteries are no longer performing as they did at first... They quickly become short lived with limited range and endurance as they were just not built to withstand the demands of a golf cart motor...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I see "RV", not "EV" on your attached pic.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I see "RV", not "EV" on your attached pic.
The group 27DC and 29DC are typical "Deep Cycle/Marine" trolling motor batteries. Even though they are advertised as Deep Cycle, they are rated at about 150% the expected duty cycle (approx 25% depth of discharge before charging) of an automotive starting battery (approx 10% depth of discharge before charging). A true Deep Cycle battery would be rated for approx 50% depth of discharge before charging. These are the targets, actual performance varies by how closely the battery manufacturer will follow the "spec." of their targetted market.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh. Ok. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Look at it this way......if it seems to good to be true....it's likely not true. Cart lead acid batteries are made for carts. And they are at price points that reflect the cost of building such a battery.

So, if your looking to buy a 12V for 90 bucks, and you think that 4 12V at a cost of $360 will either perform the same as say, 8 Trojan T-105's at a total cost of roughly $900, then your looking at something that is likely to good to be true.

MHO

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

In my experience, the Marine deep cycle batteries I see in golf carts arrive at my shop about 18 months old and no longer performing properly.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO