lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
drosen
Not Yet Wild

Default Power Wise Charger Buzz/Hum Noise

Hello all:

Today for the first time, when I connected the Power Wise charger to my EZGO TXT 36V car, I'm hearing a louder humming or buzzing from the charger than I have ever heard in the past.

Charger appears to be working properly and goes silent once the batteries are fully charged, but is this new continuous buzzing while charging an indication that the charger is getting ready to fail?

Thank you in advance for the always expert and kind info.
drosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Power Wise Charger Buzz/Hum Noise

I’d make sure it’s clean, the cover is tight, and it’s sitting flat. Oftentimes vibration will make them loud. Does putting your hand on it quiet it down?

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:29 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Want the secret trick? (But not "officially approved"). Go get the highest quality clear coat in a spray can you can buy. Take your charger open. Spray every angle of the transformer from every angle you can get. Focus on the copper wires. Hit them all, every angle you can get. Dripping wet is ok. Not the board or diodes, the transformer core only. Hit it good, flip it over 20 minutes later and soak the other side. Just the transformer, not the boards or surrounding parts. Then let it dry for 24 hours. It's magic. Not approved by anyone, but it's an old charger anyway. I never seen one fail because of doing it . I do suppose it doesn't qualify as a new "class H" insulation, and I have never "actually done this".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
drosen
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the suggestions.

LukeL, The cabinet is tight and not rattling, no change when I put my hand on it to stop any vibration so I'm sure the hum is coming from inside. I'm accustomed to hearing transformer hum from some power equipment, but this one was more than I've ever heard from this charger - not crazy loud, just definitely louder than normal. Today's test - still louder than what I'm used to hearing, but not as loud as what I heard before that prompted my posting for advice. I might have a chance to swap out this charger (not free and not convenient but less than buying another one) so I am trying to find out if an intermittent abnormally loud buzz indicates an imminent failure.

cgtech, actually sounds kind of clever, but I've been on a mechanical losing streak lately and I don't want to risk damaging other parts by soak spraying the transformer.
drosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO