lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
EasyD
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default battery pack voltage drops to near zero when negative hooked up

New to golf carts. Got a 2001 36V EZGO PDS that won't go. Worked fine one day, then died overnight. Pedal provides a slight jerk and then nothing. Batteries seem to be draining quickly. "ignition" switch, F&R switch and pedal box seem to be working fine. I could not get any fault codes. Unhooked and charged batteries (2014) and they seem weak, but took a charge. I disconnected the wires connecting to battery pack. Upon reinstallation, when I hook the ground up to the controller, the voltage drops to near zero. 36volts before hookup, then 1 or 2 if I touch the ground to the terminal. Any next steps would be appreciated.
EasyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: battery pack voltage drops to near zero when negative hooked up

Probably have one shorted battery.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not shorted but high resistance failure. Load test the batteries or measure each one with a meter when your negative is hooked up. You will find a bad one.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #4
EasyD
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. I figured that since all the batteries had over 6volts and the total was over 36 that I was good there. Learning is a wonderful thing.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have seen a couple battery failures where voltage looks fine but you can't draw any significant current from it. Not sure what failed internally but it happens. My car battery did that once and went from working fine to useless in an instant.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #6
EasyD
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Problem Solved. I assumed I had more knowledge than I did. I followed the recommendations and load tested each battery individually. All seemed fine. The voltage in each and total were acceptable. I guess I should have load tested them in pairs, then I would have found THE BAD CONNECTION between two of the batteries. So the high resistance diagnosis was correct. The connection did not appear bad. I haven't tried, but I guess you could load test two batteries at a time and maybe that would have revealed a bad connection. If that is possible, that may be a good way to INSURE you have a solid wire to each battery. Does this sound legit? THANK YOU for all the help.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, that's one way, or test one battery at a time, but include the cable that links it to it's neighbor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO