lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2018, 01:14 AM   #1
babyblue
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio memory wire

Im a newbe so be kind[emoji3] I just purchased a 2003 club car ds it has a stereo that is hooked up to key switch for power. How or where do I connect the memory wire to save my stations and settings

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2018, 01:29 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Radio memory wire

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The key switch on that cart is 48 volt. Unless some changes have been made to it.

Do you know anything about the history of it being wired to the keyswitch? Does it work at all?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Check that key switch wire and see if it runs to a voltage reduces. As MC stated, it is 48v and can not power a 12v radio. Must be a reducer somewhere.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
babyblue
Not Yet Wild

Like I said Im a newbe on these things[emoji22]. At this point when I turn key off it turns radio off as well just like a automobile. The dealer I got it from isnt any help. I have ask around community Im in lol. Think Ill just put a motorcycle batt. somewhere just for memory on radio. Oh and have no background on it either.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Here is an electrical schematic of your cart. Just trace that one wire back from the switch and you will easily find the reducer. I am pretty sure that is your reducers trigger wire at the switch now.

Unfortunately, most radios today incorporate the main power in conjunction with the memory wire and the it is usually yellow and a heavier gauge. The red wire is smaller gauge and usually just for switch power.

If you have an older radio where it still has the main power on the heavy wire and the memory wire on the small wire, then a lot of newer voltage reducers will have a small blue memory wire that is used for just that.

It is important to find out what reducer you have and what radio you have in regards to wiring.
(Another fix, but not the best one, is you can move the trigger wire over to the other side of the switch and have power supplied to your memory all the time. You will just have to manually switch that and any other accessory powered from that reducer off when not in use.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003_club_car_ds_iq_mcor.jpg (510.2 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
babyblue
Not Yet Wild

Thank you sir. If I have to manually turn on and off radio thats ok with me.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Often the radio head unit will have a wire diagram on the case and should say which wire is the "memory" wire. Usually it is the yellow wire which is also the main power, and the red wire is just the key switch input to tell it to turn on/off.

How to get that to work properly depends on what voltage reducer is in the cart. Find the reducer and take a pic and get the brand/ model number and we may be able to get it wired so the radio retains memory power but still turns on/off with the key switch.

The only downside with memory power for the radio is it will draw a small amount of current from the battery pack at all times, even when the cart is not in use, but it's usually such a small amount it won't cause a problem.

Does the cart have any other 12V powered accessories? Lights, fans, flame thrower... ?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car