lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
Glade Rider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT 48V Travel Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I have to add.....you got a BAD A$$ looking cart!!
Thank you Sir. I just installed the Long Travel, wheels/tires, new rear, body, batteries, JBL Sound Bar etc.. Fun Project. New controller and motor next week.
Glade Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glade Rider View Post
Hi Scotty, I have an IR temp gun so I can accurately measure motor temp. I wish I could tell you which map was loaded. It was in the cart when I bought it. Probably not the ideal map. I had QP turn the motor into the Bandit motor. Speed is good but I would like additional range. The new controller has the Barracuda Field Map already loaded. I'm told the combination should work well but I'll have to test next week when the motor arrives. I believe the regen is disabled on the current set up. I would be happy to share the "Motor File" for this cart but someone will have to tell me how this is accomplished. I have zero experience with this.
You have to connect a laptop to the DCX to to see what field map is loaded and how the parameters are programmed and recording a data log from a DCX controller. The biggest issue is getting a USB to serial adapter cable that works with a DCX. The XCT uses a USB-A to USB-B (aka USB printer cable), which are readily available.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #13
Glade Rider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You have to connect a laptop to the DCX to to see what field map is loaded and how the parameters are programmed and recording a data log from a DCX controller. The biggest issue is getting a USB to serial adapter cable that works with a DCX. The XCT uses a USB-A to USB-B (aka USB printer cable), which are readily available.
Thanks for the info. Have to see what I can find in the way of cable connections. Would like to know what map I currently have in the DCX. Just drove approximately 14-15 miles and motor temp was 214 Max when I got home. Outside air temp was 68* For whatever its worth I've been running this set up for 8+ years. Just increased tire size from 22" to 23" which doesn't help things. Batteries seem to be getting stronger after each charge. This will be the 9th charge since installed.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Going from 22" tall tires to 23" upped the torque loss from 18% to 22% and if the taller tires are lower pressure type, the loss is greater. The more torque loss, the more heat gain.

A motor has a huge thermal mass, so the case temperature lags the armature and field winding temperature by several minutes and 214F is mighty warm for a motor case. Check temp several times after a hard run to get peak reading.

FWIW: I use a thermocouple embedded in heat sink compound Ty-wrapped to motor and plugged into a DMM with a Min/Max hold function.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #15
Glade Rider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Going from 22" tall tires to 23" upped the torque loss from 18% to 22% and if the taller tires are lower pressure type, the loss is greater. The more torque loss, the more heat gain.

A motor has a huge thermal mass, so the case temperature lags the armature and field winding temperature by several minutes and 214F is mighty warm for a motor case. Check temp several times after a hard run to get peak reading.

FWIW: I use a thermocouple embedded in heat sink compound Ty-wrapped to motor and plugged into a DMM with a Min/Max hold function.
Yea I figured the 23" tires didn't help. The new tires are radials and are much harder than the 22" tires I had before. Hoping the new XCT48500PDS Altrax and new Plum Quick Barracuda Motor correct the heat issue, adds more torque and speed. Having the correct field map for the motor should improve things. Should have it in a week or so.

Funny, I have two Turbo, 95 MPH skis w/Motec ECU's, EGT Probes, etc. Fun stuff. I got bored and now i'm starting with this cart which I am a rookie and know very little. Appreciate the info and support. Isn't there a solid state system available for this cart?
Old 12-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yea I figured the 23" tires didn't help. The new tires are radials and are much harder than the 22" tires I had before. Hoping the new XCT48500PDS Altrax and new Plum Quick Barracuda Motor correct the heat issue, adds more torque and speed. Having the correct field map for the motor should improve things. Should have it in a week or so.

Funny, I have two Turbo, 95 MPH skis w/Motec ECU's, EGT Probes, etc. Fun stuff. I got bored and now i'm starting with this cart which I am a rookie and know very little. Appreciate the info and support. Isn't there a solid state system available for this cart?
Not sure what you mean by solid state system.

The motor speed controller is solid state.

Cart motors (aka traction motors) come in three flavors DC Series, DC Sepex and AC. You have a DC Sepex (Separately Excited)

Batteries are typically Deep-Cycle Lead-Acid Wet-Cell, but some people use Deep-Cycle Lead-Acid AGM and the use of Lithium batteries is aborning.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #17
Glade Rider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by solid state system.

The motor speed controller is solid state.

Cart motors (aka traction motors) come in three flavors DC Series, DC Sepex and AC. You have a DC Sepex (Separately Excited)

Batteries are typically Deep-Cycle Lead-Acid Wet-Cell, but some people use Deep-Cycle Lead-Acid AGM and the use of Lithium batteries is aborning.
Scrap that question. I was looking in the Carts Unlimited site and misread the conversion kit info. My mistake.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:15 AM   #18
Glade Rider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Just bought the Yewy 1200Z battery charger. When charging the pack is it normal to hear the batteries "bubbling"? They are bubbling pretty hard. Don't want to over charge them.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:54 AM   #19
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
When charging the pack is it normal to hear the batteries "bubbling"? They are bubbling pretty hard. Don't want to over charge them.
Battery "gassing" (bubbling) is normal during the final cycle (finish charge) of the charging process.

Find attached the some Trojan information which shows you the various charge cycles (bulk charge, absorption charge and finish charge). Finish charge at approx. 64.8 volts and 2 to 6 amps is where you will see the most prolific "gassing".

Also refer to Scotty's Battery Break In Recommendations here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html. He has some very good information here about breaking in and maintaining your batteries.

I have also attached a State of Charge chart for your reference. You can measure your "stabilized" voltage and determine the State of Charge using this chart.

Welcome to the forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan - Charging Voltage and Profile - Flooded.JPG (75.8 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan Battery Users Guide - 2015.pdf (2.60 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #20
DaveTM
Gone Wild

BTW.....the gassing or bubbling from the batteries is what causes the battery terminals to get that "nice poofy green gack" on 'em.

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO