lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Calling 36V owners.....

Only about five ways to get a series drive cart to go faster.
1. Bring the cart up to optimal electrical and mechanical condition.
2. Up the battery pack voltage.
3. Numerically lower the final drive ratio.
4. Reduce workload.
5. Replace motor.

------------------
1. Bad high current cables or undersized high current cables, bad or undersized contacts in solenoid and/or F/R switch will reduce voltage applied to motor.

Dragging brake shoes or bad/gummed up bearings increase workload, slowing cart.

2. Increasing the battery pack voltage from 36V to 42V ups both torque and speed by 16.7% and increasing from 36V to 48V ups both torque and speed by 33.3%.

3. This is usually done by replace the stock height (18") tires with taller ones. Unfortunately, increases in speed at the top end are accompanied by losses in torque throughout the motor's RPM spectrum, so the cart will fall short of achieving the speed gains shown on the attached chart. Speed is determined by the circumference of the tire while torque is determined by the radius, so the percentages of speed gain and torque loss are quite the same.

Typically, the stock differential gear ratio is 12.44:1 and some people go to 8:1 or 6:1 for higher speed. The torque is lowered by the same percentage as the speed is increased. Changing differential gears is typically too expensive or too difficult to do for most cart owners.

4. The more the cart weighs, the slower it goes. The more wind resistance it has (windshield - top) the slower is goes. Low pressure type tires (<10PSI max inflation pressure) have a greater rolling resistance than normal pressure tires and slow the cart down. Underinflated normal pressure tires, slow the cart down.

5. In general terms, if a motor is wound for speed, if has less than stock torque, however it is sometimes possible to stuff more wire in the same size case and there are longer cases, so it is possible to find an aftermarket motor that has both greater than stock speed and greater than stock torque.

The tricky part is finding components that play well together. For example a cart with very tall (23" or so) tires might run slower with a high speed motor than it did with the stock one, especially is the tall tires are the low pressure type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire Height vs Speed and Torque.jpg (178.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
EzgoTXT2002
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Forgot to mention I upgraded to the heavy duty FNR
from Buggies Unlimited and their Solenoid kit.
EzgoTXT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzgoTXT2002 View Post
We don't mention that name around here.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzgoTXT2002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
We don't mention that name around here.
Mentioning it is one thing, linking to it is another. After all these years and all the negativity, I will still use them for tidbits and tires. Anything I don't/won't need support on, I'll shop/buy the lowest price. If it turns out to be BU, so be it. That's an honest assessment from a hobbyist. If I were building and flipping carts, I would not do business with them.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #15
EzgoTXT2002
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Learning more and more the longer I
hang around on the forum.
EzgoTXT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO